Manchester's Tyler Toffoli Named 2012-13 AHL Rookie of the Year
April 12, 2013 - American Hockey League (AHL) News Release
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. ... The American Hockey League announced today that forward Tyler Toffoli of the Manchester Monarchs has been named the winner of the Dudley (Red) Garrett Memorial Award as the AHL's outstanding rookie for the 2012-13 season, as voted by AHL coaches, players and media in each of the league's 30 member cities.
Toffoli, a second-round pick (47th overall) by the Los Angeles Kings in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, has recorded 28 goals and 20 assists for 48 points in 55 games for the Monarchs this season. He leads all AHL rookies in goals and shorthanded goals (three) and owns the highest plus/minus rating among rookie forwards in the league at plus-20. A 20-year-old native of Scarborough, Ont., Toffoli represented Manchester at the 2013 Dunkin' Donuts AHL All-Star Classic, and was named to the AHL All-Rookie Team earlier this week. Toffoli made his National Hockey League debut on Mar. 16, and has recorded two goals and three assists in eight NHL games with the Kings. The Monarchs are 28-22-2-3 with Toffoli in the lineup this season, 4-9-1-1 without him.
This award, which was first presented by the AHL in 1947, honors the late Dudley (Red) Garrett, a promising young player who lost his life during World War II while serving in the Royal Canadian Navy. Garrett split his only pro season, 1942-43, between the AHL's Providence Reds and the NHL's New York Rangers.
Previous winners of the Garrett Award include Terry Sawchuk (1949), Wally Hergesheimer (1951), Jimmy Anderson (1955), Bill Sweeney (1958), Roger Crozier (1964), Gerry Desjardins (1968), Rick Middleton (1974), Darryl Sutter (1980), Pelle Lindbergh (1981), Steve Thomas (1985), Ron Hextall (1986), Brett Hull (1987), Felix Potvin (1992), Darcy Tucker (1996), Daniel Briere (1998), Rene Bourque (2005), Teddy Purcell (2008), Nathan Gerbe (2009), Tyler Ennis (2010), Luke Adam (2011) and Cory Conacher (2012).
In operation since 1936, the American Hockey League continues to serve as the top development league for all 30 National Hockey League teams. Nearly 90 percent of all players competing in the NHL are AHL graduates, and through the years the American Hockey League has been home to more than 100 honored members of the Hockey Hall of Fame. The 2012-13 regular season ends on Apr. 21, and then 16 clubs will continue to vie for the league's coveted championship trophy when the 2013 Calder Cup Playoffs get underway.
American Hockey League Stories from April 12, 2013
- Monsters Haunt Bulldogs 6-2 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Nelson Provides Heroics in Sound Tigers' Overtime Win - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wolves Taken Down 7-3 at Rockford - Chicago Wolves
- Laughton and Alt 1st Pro Points in ADK Debuts - Adirondack Phantoms
- Coyotes Assign Brown to Portland - Portland Pirates
- Amerks Top Barons with 3-2 Shootout Win - Rochester Americans
- Crunch Edged by Sound Tigers - Syracuse Crunch
- Monsters Win Fourth Straight Thanks to Four-Goal First Period - Cleveland Monsters
- Admirals Sail Past Griffins, 4-1 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sharks Fall Short Despite Three Unanswered Goals - Worcester Sharks
- Admirals Beat Grand Rapids 4-1 - Milwaukee Admirals
- B-Sens Burn Devils, 5-3 - Binghamton Senators
- Stars Drop Checkers in Overtime - Charlotte Checkers
- Manchester earns victory to help playoff hopes - Manchester Monarchs
- Tardif scores two to give the Bruins their fourth straight win - Providence Bruins
- Manchester wins 3-1 - Connecticut Whale
- Anderson Set Record, But Devils Fall - Albany Devils
- IceHogs Present the 2012-13 Team Awards - Rockford IceHogs
- Connauton Lifts Texas to 3-2 OT Win over Charlotte - Texas Stars
- Falcons Reach New Peak - Springfield Falcons
- Dallas Reassigns Prospect Jyrki Jokipakka to Texas - Texas Stars
- Minnesota Recalls Zucker - Houston Aeros
- Rivermen Sign Pair of Collegiate Players - Peoria Rivermen
- Lightning Reassign Brett Connolly, Tyler Johnson To Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- B-Sens Weekly - Binghamton Senators
- Norfolk Admirals Weekly: Admirals Hit the Road in Search of Playoff Berth - Norfolk Admirals
- Flames Reassign Blair Jones to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Rinne Named Top Admiral of All-Time - Milwaukee Admirals
- Toffoli Named AHL's Outstanding Rookie - Manchester Monarchs
- Manchester's Tyler Toffoli Named 2012-13 AHL Rookie of the Year - AHL
- Davies Wins Wolves 2012-13 Dan Snyder Award - Chicago Wolves
- IceCaps, Purolator Hold Events to Fight Hunger - St. John's IceCaps
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield At Adirondack, Game #71 - Springfield Falcons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.