Mallards to Celebrate Milestone Weekend, Retire Gibson's Number March 16-17
MOLINE, Ill. (February 20, 2012) - The Quad City Mallards of the Central Hockey League today announced the team will retire the number of Mallards great Steve Gibson and celebrate 15 seasons of Mallards hockey and all-time attendance reaching 3.5 million fans on Mallards Milestone Weekend March 16 and 17.
Mallards Milestone Weekend will kick off when the Mallards host the Wichita Thunder at 7:05 p.m. on Friday, March 16. The first 2,000 fans through the doors for the March 16 tilt will receive free Mallards rally towels. After that game fans will be able to join Mallards alumni on the ice for a post-game skate.
Gibson's number 55 will be raised to the rafters prior to the Mallards' 7:05 p.m. match-up with the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees on Saturday, March 17. A special autograph session featuring Mallard alumni will be held before that game in the i wireless Center lobby from 4:30 to 6:00 p.m. In addition, fans attending the March 17 contest are encouraged to join in a "Green Out for Gibby" by wearing green to that game.
"Mallards Milestone Weekend is a great chance for us to thank the fans of the Quad Cities for the unparalleled support they have provided for the Mallards over the years and to recognize Steve Gibson for his tremendous contributions to the team," said Mallards Executive Vice President Ryan Simmons. "There is no one more deserving of this honor than Steve, whose contributions to the Mallards' success are irreplaceable."
Gibson played 320 games for the Mallards over seven seasons between 1997 and 2004 and won two United Hockey League Colonial Cup titles with the team. A native of Listowel, Ontario, Gibson scored 151 goals and totaled 359 points in a Quad City uniform and topped 30 goals in a season three times.
The Mallards first took to the ice for the 1995-96 season and would go on to capture league titles in 1997, 1998 and 2001. The Mallards established a professional hockey record by winning 50 or more games for six straight seasons beginning in 1996-97. After 12 seasons as the Mallards, Quad City's hockey team moved to the American Hockey League as the Flames for 2007-08 and 2008-09 before the Mallards returned for the 2009-10 campaign.
Tickets to the March 17 "Green Out for Gibby" game are available for a special discounted rate if purchased by February 29- lower bowl seats are available for $13 and upper bowl seats for $9. Fans can contact the Mallards at (309) 277-1364 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about tickets.
Single game tickets are also available at the i wireless Center box office, at Ticketmaster outlets, through www.ticketmaster.com or through Ticketmaster charge-by-phone toll free. The box office is open weekdays from 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and on game days from 10:00 a.m. until the start of the second period. Tickets for all home games are available for $12 in the upper level and $17 in the lower level and $25 for the first row along the glass for adults. Tickets for kids 12 and under are available for $5 off adult rates. In addition, tickets are available to military personnel for $2 off the regular adult rate.
Central Hockey League Stories from February 20, 2012
- Shots from the Point for February 20, 2012 - CHL
- Thunder Weekly - Wichita Thunder
- Central Hockey League Announces Suspensions - CHL
- Mavericks Weekly - Missouri Mavericks
- Mallards Weekly Update - Quad City Mallards
- Wichita's Matt Robinson Named Oakley CHL Player of the Week - CHL
- Robinson Named Oakley Player of the Week - Wichita Thunder
- Dayton Gems Weekly - Dayton Gems
- Bloomington Blaze Weekly - Bloomington Blaze
- Mallards to Celebrate Milestone Weekend, Retire Gibson's Number March 16-17 - Quad City Mallards
- Allen Americans Weekly - Allen Americans
- Tulsa Oilers Weekly - Tulsa Oilers
- Komets Gain Five Points for Week 18; Sundogs Visit Friday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Arizona Sundogs Weekly Update - Arizona Sundogs
- Killer Bees Weekly: Bees Look to Snap Streak - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Gems Hosting Millionaire Night on Friday February 24 - Dayton Gems
- Evansville IceMen Weekly - Evansville IceMen
- Weekly IceMen Notes - Evansville IceMen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.