Major League Soccer Unveils "Jersey Week"
February 11, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) News Release
NEW YORK (February 11, 2013) - Major League Soccer today announced its newest annual platform, "Jersey Week." This concept, which will be implemented in MLS markets across the United States and Canada, celebrates the art, detail and nuance behind every club's jersey and the passion that supporters have for their club.
Jersey Week will take place February 25-28, 2013, with a national launch event taking place in New York on February 25, in conjunction with the New York Red Bulls. Artist Curtis Kulig will be unveiling original pieces of art featuring the 19 MLS clubs at this event. In addition to the national event, there will be 11 local events where MLS clubs will unveil a new primary, secondary or third jersey.
Every year will see a new thematic. This year's theme, "Jersey as Art," will allow clubs to share the story behind the making of their new jersey with their supporters and will focus on the art and detail that went into the collaborative process with adidas, MLS' exclusive uniform supplier.
"Soccer supporters are extremely passionate about everything involving their club," said Maribeth Towers, senior vice president of consumer products for MLS. "But the jersey might be first and foremost. It is the crest that is closest to their heart. Jersey Week will celebrate the soccer jersey. Every stitch, every minor detail, every shade is designed in collaboration between the club and our partner at adidas. We're excited to unveil Jersey Week for our supporters."
Twelve MLS clubs will unveil at least one new jersey in 2013. Starting in 2014, all 19 MLS clubs will unveil at least one new jersey (home, away or third kit) every single year.
"Celebrating 'Jersey Week' by unveiling the updated looks of 12 Major League Soccer clubs is the perfect way to kick off the 2013 season," said Ernesto Bruce, adidas' MLS Manager. "Working in partnership with MLS and each of the clubs, we have designed and produced new uniforms that not only respect the authenticity of the game, the teams and their supporters but enable each athlete to perform at their highest level."
In advance of Jersey Week, jerseys that will be unveiled will be available for pre-order on MLSgear.com and MLSGearCanada.ca -- using teaser images -- starting today. There will also be Jersey Week coverage on MLSsoccer.com and a social media campaign using the #JerseyWeek hashtag.
MLS will join efforts with the Futbol Artists Network (FAN) as they create the "True Colors" of MLS. Artists from across the United States and Canada will create canvas art, utilizing club marks, club colors and jersey teaser images. The "True Colors" artwork will be featured via MLS social media platforms in the two weeks leading up to Jersey Week using the #TrueColors hashtag.
MLS clubs will announce additional details on their local events in the coming days.
Jersey Week Schedule :
Club Jersey Date Location
Chivas USA Secondary Feb. 26 The Home Depot Center **
Colorado Rapids Primary & Secondary Feb. 25-26 Lodo's / Jersey Caravan ^
Houston Dynamo Primary & Secondary Feb. 25 House of Blues **
Sporting Kansas City Primary & Third * Feb. 26 The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art **
LA Galaxy Secondary & Third * Feb. 27 The GRAMMY Museum ^
Montreal Impact Third Feb. 27 New City Gas **
New York Red Bulls Primary Feb. 25 Pier 59 Studios **
Portland Timbers Primary & Secondary Feb. 28 "Last Thursday on Alberta Street" ^
Philadelphia Union Third Feb. 26 Xfinity Live ^
Seattle Sounders FC Primary & Secondary Feb. 27 Cinerama **
Toronto FC Primary Feb. 26 The Berkeley Church **
Vancouver Whitecaps FC Primary Feb. 27 Rocky Mountaineer Train Station **
* LA & SKC Third jerseys are scheduled to be released at a later date
** Private event
^ Public event
Major League Soccer Stories from February 11, 2013
- Chivas USA Set to Face L.A. Blues in Fifth Preseason Match - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- #RapidsJersey Unveiling to Take Place February 26 - Colorado Rapids
- Bright Dike Undergoes Successful Knee Surgery - Portland Timbers
- Weekly Update - New England Revolution
- D.C. United Academy Update - D.C. United
- D.C. United Announces Promotional Schedule for 2013 Season - D.C. United
- San Jose Earthquakes, Visa to Celebrate 2012 Supporters' Shield Title on Opening Night - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire Conclude Preseason with Carolina Challenge Cup - Chicago Fire
- Real Salt Lake Weekly Update - Real Salt Lake
- Revs Sign Forward Chad Barrett, Defender Bilal Duckett - New England Revolution
- Sounders FC Announces Preseason Friendly - Seattle Sounders FC
- Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefer Band to Visit FC Dallas Stadium on May 4 - FC Dallas
- Red Bulls Acquire Midfielder Eric Alexander - New York Red Bulls
- Timbers Acquire Allocation Money from New York in Exchange for Midfielder Eric Alexander - Portland Timbers
- Major League Soccer Unveils "Jersey Week" - MLS
- Revs Youth Players Make College - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Red Bulls Name Rafael GonzÃ¡lez Goalkeeper Coach - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.