Madolora Shines in Oilers Shootout Win over Americans
TULSA, OK - After losing a decisive 5-1 contest to the Allen Americans just two days ago, the Tulsa Oilers exacted revenge with a 2-1 shootout victory Tuesday night at the BOK Center. In a game dominated by the goaltenders, Shane Madolora outlasted Americans goalie Steve Silverthorn as he stopped nine out of 10 Allen Americans in the shootout and finished with 44 saves.
Jamie Schaafsma got things underway for the Americans with a powerplay goal five minutes and eight seconds into the contest. It was Schaafsma's fourth goal in the last two games against the Oilers. Ryan Menei responded as he took the puck out of the air and sent it past Allen goaltender Steve Silverthorn to make it 1-1 with 8:21 left in the opening period.
Menei notched his 27th goal of the season, which leads the team. His 62 points this year are second only to Ben Gordon, who has 65 points. Sean Erickson got his 22nd assist this season, which ranks third among Oilers.
The second, third, and overtime period went scoreless. In the shootout, the first three shooters for each team were denied. Drew Fisher gave Tulsa a brief lead in the fourth round of the shootout but was promptly answered by Allen's Kale Kerbashian, who was the only American to best Madolora in the shootout. Erickson sealed the win for the Oilers with a backhander in the 10 th shootout round.
Madolora now has a record of 10-10-1 on the season and is 4-0 in shootouts. Silverthorn finished with a stout 34 saves but was handed the loss.
The Americans maintain a brief lead at the top of the CHL standings with a record of 27-11-8. The Oilers, coming off back-to-back losses, got their sixth victory in the last eight games which includes a season-best five game winning streak. Tulsa's record improves 18-29-3.
The Oilers will look to continue their winning ways Friday night against the Arizona Sundogs at 7:05 p.m. at the BOK Center.
Central Hockey League Stories from February 12, 2013
- Thunder Lose to Rapid City in Overtime, 2-1 - Wichita Thunder
- Cutthroats Top Missouri with Late Heroics, 2-1 - Denver Cutthroats
- Brahmas Stay Hot, Drop Sundogs in Overtime - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Madolora Shines in Oilers Shootout Win over Americans - Tulsa Oilers
- Mavericks Lose After Late Goal, 2-1, to Denver - Missouri Mavericks
- Bloomington Drops Mallards 4-1; Toporowski Plays Thousandth Game - Quad City Mallards
- Blaze Score Three in First to Down Mallards - Bloomington Blaze
- Fort Worth's Brad Fogal Named Oakley CHL Goaltender of the Week - CHL
- Fogal Named Oakley CHL Goalie of the Week - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Mavericks to Celebrate "Hockey Weekend Across America" - Missouri Mavericks
- Have Biscuit take care of your sweetheart - Allen Americans
- Thunder Weekly - Wichita Thunder
- Cutthroats Weekly Update - Denver Cutthroats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.