Lamet Sets Team Record in Thursday's Loss
The El Paso Chihuahuas struck out 18 Tacoma batters to set a new team record Thursday but fell to the Rainiers 6-5 in 10 innings. It was the first extra inning game of the season for both teams. El Paso starter Dinelson Lamet struck out 13 hitters in 5.1 innings to set a Chihuahuas single-game strikeout record by an individual pitcher and reach a new career high. The previous record was held by lefties Robbie Erlin and Jason Lane. Every Rainiers position player struck out at least once.
El Paso led 5-1 in the seventh inning when Tacoma's Daniel Vogelbach hit a game-tying grand slam to right field, his second home run in as many games. Back-to-back doubles in the top of the 10th inning by Boog Powell and Tuffy Gosewisch gave Tacoma the go-ahead run. The Chihuahuas had a baserunner in the eighth, ninth and tenth innings but did not score.
Jamie Romak went 1-for-4 with a solo home run, his third homer in his last four games. It was Romak's sixth longball of the season, tying Iowa's Ian Happ for the Pacific Coast League lead. Dusty Coleman hit a two-run home run, going deep on his 30th birthday. Cory Spangenberg went 3-for-5, his second consecutive multi-hit game.
Box Score: statelive,game_tab,game504665
Team Records: Tacoma (8-6), El Paso (7-8)
Next Game: Friday, 7:05 pm at Southwest University Park. Tacoma RHP Chase De Jong (2-0, 1.74) vs. El Paso RHP Bryan Rodriguez (1-0, 0.75). The game will air on 600 ESPN El Paso and www.epchihuahuas.com.
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 21, 2017
- Game Notes: April 21 vs. Reno - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Nashville Sounds Transactions - Nashville Sounds
- 90s Kids Bring the Hits in Grizzles 10-3 Win - Fresno Grizzlies
- Bees Pitchers Shut Down Sacramento - Salt Lake Bees
- Isotopes End Losing Streak, Down Aces 8-3 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rainiers Blaze Past Chihuahuas for 6-5 Win in Extras - Tacoma Rainiers
- Lamet Sets Team Record in Thursday's Loss - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Omaha Escapes Round Rock 5-3 - Round Rock Express
- Marte Extends Hit Streak, Aces Fall in Game Three to Isotopes - Reno Aces
- Baby Cakes Strike Early, Hold off I-Cubs - PCL
- Dickson Dinger Helps Send Dodgers to 4-3 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Baby Cakes Rattle I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Sounds Edged 4-3 by Oklahoma City - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.