LA Galaxy to Host Club Tijuana in Friendly on February 19
CARSON, Calif. (Wednesday, January 30, 2013) - The 2012 MLS Cup champion LA Galaxy announced today that the club will face 2012 Liga MX Apertura champion Club Tijuana Xoloitzcuintles in an exhibition game at The Home Depot Center on Tuesday, February 19. The game, which is presented by MetroPCS, will kickoff at 7:30 p.m. and be broadcast live on Time Warner Cable Deportes, including hour-long pregame and postgame shows. ESPN Deportes Radio KWKW 1330 AM will also carry the game live on the radio, including 30-minute pregame and postgame shows.
Club Tijuana, known by their fan base as "Xolos', were founded in 2007 and won their first Liga MX title in December, when they beat Toluca 4-1 on aggregate in the finals. As a result of their success last season, Tijuana will play in the CONMEBOL 2013 Copa Libertadores, which is the tournament that decides the best club team in South America and determines the region's representative in the FIFA Club World Cup. Their first game in that competition, which will be played against Colombian side Millonarios, will also be played on February 19, meaning that it will be the players who do not travel to Colombia for that game that face the Galaxy at The Home Depot Center.
Tickets for this game, which go on sale on Tuesday, February 5, cost just $10 with a portion of the proceeds from the game supporting the LA Galaxy Foundation. Galaxy season ticket holders will receive two complimentary tickets for every season ticket that they have purchased. Tickets can be purchased online through www.lagalaxy.com or by calling 1-877-3GALAXY (342-5299). Additionally, parking will be free for all fans.
In addition to the game between the Galaxy and Club Tijuana, fans will be able to watch some of the two clubs' top young talent in action for free as the Galaxy Academy U-18 side will face Tijuana's U-18's on Field #5 at The Home Depot Center starting at 4:30 p.m. Stadium gates will then open at 6 p.m. with Galaxy President Chris Klein, AEG Sports Chief Operating Officer Kelly Cheeseman and Galaxy General Manager and Head Coach Bruce Arena sitting down with fans for a town hall style meeting at the front of section 132 on the East side of the stadium, starting at 6:30 p.m.
The game against Tijuana is the only game that the club has scheduled against a Mexican club during their preseason. The Galaxy open the 2013 MLS season at The Home Depot Center on Sunday, March 3 when they host the Chicago Fire. Single game tickets for that game will go on sale on Tuesday, February 5.
For access to tickets ahead of the general public, subscribe to the Gold Standard enewsletter or follow the LA Galaxy on Facebook or Twitter.
Major League Soccer Stories from January 30, 2013
- Chivas USA Defeats FC Santa Clarita Storm, 4-1, in Second Preseason Scrimmage - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sporting KC Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Comcast SportsNet Houston Becomes New TV Home of the Dynamo - Houston Dynamo
- LA Galaxy to Host Club Tijuana in Friendly on February 19 - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Second Edition of the Mauro Biello Festival this Weekend - Montreal Impact
- Real Salt Lake Weekly Update - Real Salt Lake
- United's Andy Najar Transferred to Belgian Side R.S.C. Anderlecht - D.C. United
- Chicago Fire Fall 2-1 to Columbus Crew in Preseason Friendly - Chicago Fire
- Revs Announce 2013 Turf Tour - New England Revolution
- Rapids Midfielder MartÃn Rivero out 2-3 Months with Foot Injury - Colorado Rapids
- Sporting KC Loans Kei Kamara to Norwich City F.C. - Sporting Kansas City
- Red Bulls Name Robin Fraser Assistant Coach - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake Acquires FW Joao Plata from Toronto FC - Real Salt Lake
- Toronto FC Acquire MLS SuperDraft Pick for Plata - Toronto FC
- Sporting KC and Boulevard Enter into New Sponsorship Agreement - Sporting Kansas City
- Rookies Adapting Well as Casa Grande Trip Concludes - New England Revolution
- Revs drop final preseason match in Casa Grande - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.