LA Galaxy Lose 1-0 to Real Salt Lake
CARSON, Calif. - The LA Galaxy suffered their first loss of the 2013 preseason on Friday afternoon at The Home Depot Center, falling 1-0 to Real Salt Lake.
Former Galaxy midfielder Ned Grabavoy scored the game's only goal in the 27th minute, sending a left-footed blast past Carlo Cudicini and into the top corner of the net. The goal was the first allowed by the Galaxy in their three preseason games.
The Galaxy came close twice just before halftime to tying the game, but Real Salt Lake goalkeeper Nick Rimando was equal to the task each time. In the 42nd minute, Robbie Keane put Rafael Garcia clean through on goal, only for the RSL keeper to deny LA's second year midfielder. Three minutes later, Rimando was called upon again, this time denying Mike Magee on the stroke of halftime, keeping the score 1-0 in favor of the visitors.
Former Galaxy goalkeeper Josh Saunders made his first appearance for Real Salt Lake, coming on at halftime in place of Rimando. He was called upon in the 79th minute to make a save off a Jack McBean header while Oscar Sorto fired a low shot just wide of Saunders' right post two minutes later.
The second half also saw the 2013 debut of Juninho, who arrived from Brazil late last week. He played the final 27 minutes of the game after replacing Marcelo Sarvas in the 63rd minute.
Major League Soccer Stories from February 8, 2013
- LA Galaxy Lose 1-0 to Real Salt Lake - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Bright Dike to Undergo Surgery Monday to Repair Torn Left ACL - Portland Timbers
- Impact Takes on Sporting Kansas City in First Preseason Game on Saturday - Montreal Impact
- Chivas USA Set to Face K-League Team - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Real Salt Lake Beats LA Galaxy 1-0 in Preseason Friendly - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Conclude Successful Camp in Arizona with Win over FC Tucson - Portland Timbers
- San Jose Earthquakes Unveil Landmark Youth Development Alliance with Diablo FC - San Jose Earthquakes
- Bengtson Excited for Fresh Start in 2013 - New England Revolution
- Rapids Re-Sign Midfielder Jamie Smith - Colorado Rapids
- Red Bulls Sign Midfielder Ruben Izquierdo - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.