LA Galaxy Look to Spoil Sporting Kansas City's Shutout Streak
CARSON, Calif. - Goals have come at a premium for the LA Galaxy during their recent three game slide in all competitions, scoring just once in the last 270 minutes of play. At the same time, this Saturday's opponent, Sporting Kansas City, have held opponents scoreless in their last five games.
Kansas City extended their streak on Wednesday when they shut down Thierry Henry, Tim Cahill and the New York Red Bulls, holding them scoreless as Sporting nicked out a 1-0 victory at Red Bull Arena to extend their record to 4-1-2 on the season and their shutout streak to 519 minutes. Sporting's results as of late lead to just one question ahead of Saturday's match.
Just how do the Galaxy break down such a talented Kansas City defense?
"Try to shoot and pass well. That would help. If you put it in the net, they put in the scoreboard," Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena said glibly to reporters on Thursday. "They're a good team defensively and they have a good way of playing, they understand each other very well so their backline and goalkeeper play well."
Leading the charge for Kansas City's defenders will be center backs Matt Besler- the reigning MLS Defender of the Year- and flamboyant Frenchman AurÃ¯Â¿Â½lien Collin as well as reigning MLS Goalkeeper of the Year Jimmy Nielsen.
Besler in particular is on an incredible run of form as of late that includes starting alongside Omar Gonzalez in the U.S. National Team's 0-0 draw in a World Cup Qualifiers against Mexico on March 26. On Wednesday, Besler was in typical form as he kept the Red Bulls off the board, even making a last ditch clearance to prevent a Fabian Espindola breakaway in the 25th minute.
Although the pair have only played together on a few occasions with the National Team, Besler has left quite the impression on Gonzalez.
"He's pretty quiet off the field, but when it comes game time, he's ready to play and he's confident. He just gets the job done," Gonzalez said of his international teammate. "That is something that is great about him; he doesn't show off and just gets the job done. He's in the right places at the right time and he's good 1v1 and that makes for a good defender."
For all of Kansas City's defensive weapons, the Galaxy attackers are confident that they can break Sporting's defense.
"They don't concede too many goals, but hopefully, we can change that on Saturday," said Galaxy captain Robbie Keane with a smirk.
"They've been around together for a while now and they have a good goalkeeper and a good back four, but we like to think that we're a pretty good and dynamic attacking team," said Landon Donovan. "So for us, it's a good challenge and we're looking forward to it."
The Galaxy's preparations were aided by a full week to rest and prepare for Kansas City after spending the last week playing a pair of road games, first in the CONCACAF Champions League against Monterrey and then in the league against FC Dallas.
Now finally able to prepare for an opponent for a full week- while Sporting flies across country after their midweek game in New Jersey- LA are ecstatic.
"This feels foreign; it feels like we haven't had this in a while. I think we've only played two road games this year [in league play], but it feels like we've played 10," said Mike Magee. "Going to Monterrey and we've had two lengthy trips, but it's great to get a full week and at the end of it, we have no excuses."
Major League Soccer Stories from April 18, 2013
- LA Galaxy Look to Spoil Sporting Kansas City's Shutout Streak - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Timbers Weekly Update - Portland Timbers
- San Jose Earthquakes Announce Plans for Earth Day Celebration at Team's Match on Sunday, April 21 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Revolution happy with - but not relying upon - league-leading defense - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire vs. Columbus Crew Match on Saturday, April 20 Named MLS Stream of the Week - Chicago Fire
- Black & Gold by the Numbers: April 18 - Columbus Crew SC
- Rapids Match against Seattle this Saturday to be Broadcast on Altitude 2 - Colorado Rapids
- Tryouts Continue this Weekend at First-Time Host Colorado Rapids for Sueño MLS 2013 - MLS
- Sounders FC Announces Reserve League Game at Cheney Stadium - Seattle Sounders FC
- Revolution to Tour Boston During "Ticket Tuesday" - New England Revolution
- Philadelphia Union to Host Star Wars Day at PPL Park - Philadelphia Union
- Agustin Viana Says "It's Always in My Heart" to Play in MLS - Columbus Crew SC
- Amway Canadian Championship Returns to TVA Sports - Montreal Impact
- D.C. United, Northern Virginia Soccer Club (NVSC) and adidas Reach Affiliate Agreement - D.C. United
- Sporting KC Moves Atop East with 1-0 Win at New York - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.