LA Galaxy defeat USL Pro\'s L.A. Blues 3-0 in preseason game
CARSON, Calif. - The LA Galaxy took advantage of a pair of defensive miscues in the first half to beat the Los Angeles Blues 3-0 on Tuesday morning at The Home Depot Center. Robbie Keane and Jose Villarreal each scored for the second straight game and the Galaxy benefitted from an own goal as well to claim their second straight victory of the preseason. LA once again kept a clean sheet in the game with Carlo Cudicini and Brian Perk each playing 45 minutes in the win. They have now played 180 minutes in the preseason without conceding a goal.
The Galaxy scored a pair of first half goals, each of which was the result of a defensive error by the Blues inside their own penalty area. LA were in front after just four minutes when a Rafael Garcia cross that was intended for Gyasi Zardes, struck the foot of a defender and was re-directed into the Blues' net for an own goal.
It was 2-0 just over 10 minutes later when a mishit clearance provided Robbie Keane with an opportunity that he calmly converted. Keane collected the loose ball inside the area and rounded the goalkeeper before dribbling past a pair of defenders and finishing with his left foot for his second goal in as many games.
Bruce Arena made 10 changes at halftime for the second straight game with only A.J. DeLaGarza remaining on the field for more than 45 minutes. He was eventually replaced on the hour mark by rookie defender Kofi Opare who played the final 30 minutes in his first appearance of the preseason.
Jose Villarreal put the finishing touches on the victory in the 76th minute when he scored his second goal of the preseason. Villarreal teamed up with rookie Andy Riemer on a perfectly executed give-and-go to give the Galaxy a 3-0 victory. The goal came despite the Galaxy playing the final 20 minutes with just 10 men after Leonardo came off with a cramp.
Major League Soccer Stories from February 5, 2013
- LA Galaxy defeat USL Pro's L.A. Blues 3-0 in preseason game - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Chivas USA Ties Chicago, 1-1, in Its Third Preseason Match - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sporting KC Extends Broadcast Partnership with Sports Radio 810 WHB - Sporting Kansas City
- Chicago Fire Draw Chivas USA 1-1 in Preseason Friendly - Chicago Fire
- Brent Richards Undergoes Successful Knee Surgery - Portland Timbers
- Opportunity Knocks for Second-Year Forward Imbongo - New England Revolution
- Preseason Training Game: Seattle Sounders FC 0 vs. Portland Timbers 1 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers Defeat Sounders FC 1-0 in Preseason Play - Portland Timbers
- Rapids Development Academy Teams to be Fully Funded by Club - Colorado Rapids
- Three Impact Players with Canada U20 - Montreal Impact
- Preseason Knock No Big Deal for Soares - New England Revolution
- LA Galaxy Create Academy Alliance - Los Angeles Galaxy
- D.C. United Finalizes All Times for 34-Game Regular-Season - D.C. United
- MLS, TSN and RDS Announce 2013 Regular Season National Broadcast Schedule for Canada - MLS
- Montreal Impact Unveils Its 2013 Broadcast Schedule - Montreal Impact
- Red Bulls Sign Defender Dax McCarty to New Contract - New York Red Bulls
- Rapids Single Game Tickets on Sale this Week - Colorado Rapids
- The Impact Soccer Schools at Olympic Stadium - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.