Kubitza Earns Second Player of the Week Award
LYNCHBURG, VA - The Carolina League office has announced Hillcats 3B Kyle Kubitza as the Player of the Week for the week ending August 5, 2013. In six games Kubitza hit .478 (11-for-23) with six extra-base hits, including a home run, an RBI and six runs scored. Kubitza also won the award for the week ending June 16. It's the third Player of the Week honor won by a Hillcat and second by Kubitza this season.
Kubitza, a third-round pick by the Braves in 2011, is currently on a six-game hitting streak. So far this season Kyle is hitting .262 with ten home runs and 40 RBI. His home run total is second-highest among active Hillcats. A Texas State alumnus, Kubitza also walked three times during the week. Kubitza is the overall leader in walks in the Carolina League to date with 63 free passes.
The 23-year-old is playing in his third professional season, all in the Braves organization, and first with the Hillcats. After signing in 2011, Kubitza joined the Danville Braves of the rookie-level Appalachian League. Last season, his first full season of professional baseball, he played for the Class-A Rome Braves in the South Atlantic League where he hit .239 with nine home runs and 59 RBI.
Kubitza and the rest of the Hillcats begin a six-game road trip tonight in Winston-Salem, NC. First pitch between them and the Dash is set for 7pm and you can hear the live radio broadcast with Erik Wilson at 6:40pm on 97.9 FM The Planet and lynchburg-hillcats.com. The 'Cats return home for a six-game home stand on Sunday, August 11 for a 6:05pm game with the Dash. For tickets call 434-528-1144 or come by City Stadium Monday through Friday from 9am to 5pm. There are just two home stands left in the 2013 season as the 'Cats look to defend their 2012 Carolina League championship crown.
Carolina League Stories from August 5, 2013
- Mudcats Escape P-Nats' Swarm - Carolina Mudcats
- Two-Out Blast Buries Keys - Frederick Keys
- Red Sox Use Home Run Ball to Claim Series Opener - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Beck Blasts Keys to Snap Losing Streak - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Cose, Dash Blank Hillcats in Series Opener - Winston-Salem Dash
- Hillcats Blanked Again, Fall 5-0 - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Chester Powers Red Sox Past Blue Rocks 5-2 - Salem Red Sox
- Salem Sox vs. Blue Rocks - Game Notes - August 5, 2013 - Salem Red Sox
- Dash vs. Hillcats - Game Notes - August 5, 2013 - Winston-Salem Dash
- Pelicans vs. Keys - Game Notes - August 5, 2013 - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Dash Announce Roster Moves - Winston-Salem Dash
- Hillcats vs. Dash - Game Notes - August 5, 2013 - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Kubitza Earns Second Player of the Week Award - Lynchburg Hillcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.