Komets Split Pair at Gwinnett; Open Three-Game Series at Orlando Friday
Fort Wayne, IN -- The Komets claimed a split of two games played at Gwinnett for week eight of 2012-13 and improved to 9-8-1 and 19 points after 18 games. Fort Wayne enters week nine tied with Kalamazoo for third place in the North Division, eight points behind division leader Toledo.
It was the only trip of the season to Gwinnett. The season series is now even 2-2-0 and the rubber match will be skated in the last meeting of the season Jan. 2 at Fort Wayne.
The Komets snapped a brief two-game winless streak with a 4-3 win at Gwinnett Wednesday. Komet goaltender Kenny Reiter made 44 saves on 47 shots for the win. It was the most shots faced by a Komet goaltender in a game this season. Gwinnett also directed 27 shots at the Fort Wayne net in the third period for the most shots against the Komets in a period since Kalamazoo registered 27 shots in the third period of a 4-3 Komet shootout win Jan. 28, 2006.
Friday the Komets were turned back by the Gladiators 3-1. Defenseman Daniel Maggio scored the lone Komet goal as Reiter made 31 saves in his second straight appearance. A total of 154 penalty minutes were accumulated by both teams. The Komets had 86 penalty minutes, the most in a game for the Komets since they were handed 90 penalty minutes Feb. 23, 2007 vs. Port Huron in a 2-0 home loss.
Leaders of the pack -Left wing Josh Brittain led the Komets for the week with a goal, two assists and three points, scoring points in each of the two games at Gwinnett. Defenseman Daniel Maggio also had points in each game (1g, 1a) and defenseman Daniel Nycholat pushed his assist streak to three games (3a) with a helper in each game. Overall, right wing Brandon Marino continues to top the Komets with 18 assists and 25 points while tied with Brittain, Thomas Beauregard (RW), and J.M. Rizk (RW) for most goals with seven. Maggio leads plus/minus with +8 and Reiter ranks fifth in the ECHL among netminders with a 2.27 goals-against average and second with a .933 save percentage in nine appearances.
100 club -Tyler Butler reached his 100th career goal scoring the Komets' game winner Wednesday at Gwinnett and his first goal of the season. The veteran defenseman is skating his 10th pro season, first with the Komets and eighth in the ECHL.
Up next -The Komets will continue play in the south this week with a three-game weekend reunion at Orlando beginning Friday. The Solar Bears are tied with the Florida Everblades in the South Division with 21 points and trail division leader Gwinnett by 10 points after 22 games. Friday's game will be Fort Wayne's first visit to Orlando since March 7, 1998 when the Komets scored a 5-3 IHL win. The Bears are coming off a split of two games at Las Vegas last Friday and Saturday. Orlando has lost five of the last six games played and are 4-8-1 in their last 13 outings. The Komets and Orlando are idle until they meet this Friday at the Amway Center (17,200) at 7pm. Saturday's faceoff is at 7pm and Sunday's matinee gets underway at 3pm.
Home for the holidays -The Komets' next home game is Wednesday, Dec. 12 when the Kalamazoo Wings visit for a 7:30pm faceoff and the first of seven Wednesday night games at the Memorial Coliseum this season. The Wings will return Sunday, Dec. 16, kicking off a string of nine Komet home games in 21 days thru Jan. 6.
Hottest ticket in town-- Single game tickets and season tickets are on sale. Single game tickets can be purchased at the Coliseum Ticket Office and online at www.ticketMaster.com . Season tickets are on sale at the Komet office, 1010 Memorial Way, Fort Wayne. For information visit www.komets.com, or call 260-483-0011.
Komets.com -Check out the official Komet team website at www.komets.com featuring an interactive calendar of the Komets' schedule, info on all Komet events as well as home and road games. Komets.com also features an on-line team store. Fans are able to download and access photo galleries, player information, video, audio and other multi-media features as well as follow Komet gamecasts live and much more.
Komet Hockey worldwide at Xfinity KometCast - Legendary broadcaster Bob Chase celebrates his 60th anniversary season calling Komet hockey radio-rinkside. Hear Komet Hockey worldwide at Xfinity KometCast at www.komets.com. This Friday and Saturday's games at Orlando are also scheduled to be broadcast on WOWO Radio AM 1190 and FM 92.3. Sunday's match at Orlando will be aired on WKJG Radio AM 1380 and FM 106.7.
INC Soundoff with the Komets Monday nights -- The Komets, Indiana's News Center and title sponsor PHP present a live weekly televised sports program on Monday nights at 7:30 on WPTA TV 21 Alive. The half-hour show is televised from the WPTA TV studios each week with INC's Tommy Schoegler as host and will feature highlights, interviews and call-ins as Komet players and personnel serve as co-hosts. Tonight, Dec. 3, Komet Captain Colin Chaulk will be Tommy's guest.
ECHL Stories from December 3, 2012
- Thunder Weekly: Second Place Thunder Hosts Las Vegas - Stockton Thunder
- Former Wranglers Goaltender Marc Magliarditi Named to ECHL Hall of Fame - Las Vegas Wranglers
- K-Wings Weekly - Kalamazoo Wings
- Condors Weekly: Condors Split Weekend Series; Three Games on Tap - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Transactions - December 3 - ECHL
- Weekly Warrior - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Elmira Jackals Weekly - Elmira Jackals
- ECHL Announces 2013 Hall of Fame Class - ECHL
- Road Warriors Teddy Bear Toss on Friday December 7 - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Christmas Parade and Coat Drive - Bakersfield Condors
- Aces back in familiar position - ECHL
- Edmonton Reassigns RW Toni Rajala to Thunder - Stockton Thunder
- Gladiators Weekly Update - Atlanta Gladiators
- Colorado Eagles Weekly Update - Colorado Eagles
- Komets Split Pair at Gwinnett; Open Three-Game Series at Orlando Friday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Cyclones Weekly - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers Host Teddy Bear Toss Friday - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Loans D Nathan Deck to Oklahoma City - Stockton Thunder
- Radio Recon Might Sit in the Lotus Position for this One - Reading Royals
- Stingrays Weekly: College Pride Night and Teddy Bear Toss this Weekend - South Carolina Stingrays
- Evansville IceMen Weekly - Evansville IceMen
- IceMen Weekly Notes - Evansville IceMen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.