Koehler Ties Franchise Record for Wins as Suns Blank Braves
Pearl, Miss. - Tom Koehler scattered two hits over five scoreless innings for his 16th winning decision, equaling the Jacksonville franchise single-season wins record, as the Jacksonville Suns (74-54, 34-24) shut out the Mississippi Braves (56-60, 26-32) 2-0 in front of 1,554 Tuesday night at Trustmark Park.
Koehler tied the record of 16 wins set by Dave Borkowski (16-7) in 1998. The right-hander allowed two singles to Braves catcher Orlando Mercado in a five inning, 72-pitch performance. Koehler has winning decisions in his last three appearances and in four of five outings in the month of August.
Braves starter Julio Teheran (2-2) took the tough-luck losing decision, charged with two runs off seven hits in six innings of work. Jose Ceda (5) saved the game after he overcame an error and two-out single in the ninth inning.
Greg Burns drove in the opening run with a line drive off Braves pitcher Julio Teheran for an infield single, scoring Brandon Tripp from third base for a 1-0 lead.
The Suns struck again in the fifth inning. Tim Torres scored Lorenzo Scott from first base with a double to left-centerfield opening a 2-0 lead.
Mississippi's best scoring opportunity came in the fifth inning against Koehler. After a walk and single put runners at first and second base to begin the inning, Koehler induced a double play from Yasser Gomez before striking out Teheran to end the threat.
Suns RH Jose Rosario will face Braves RH Erik Cordier in game three of the series Wednesday at 8:05 p.m. ET. RH Jhan Marinez will make a Major League rehabilitation appearance in relief for the Suns. Live radio coverage is available on WFXJ-AM 930 and online at jaxsuns.com.
Southern League Stories from August 24, 2010
- Jaxx Comeback Falls Short Tuesday Night - Jackson Generals
- Koehler Ties Franchise Record for Wins as Suns Blank Braves - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Torres Magnificent in Shutout - Montgomery Biscuits
- Pitching dominates, Suns shut out Braves - Mississippi Braves
- Early Errors Plague BayBears in Loss to Lookouts - Mobile BayBears
- Smokies Blast Jaxx 9-6 - Tennessee Smokies
- Lookouts Blast BayBears, 10-2 - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Mudcats Stumble in Eighth - Carolina Mudcats
- Britton To Short-A Everett, Martinez-Esteve To Jaxx - Jackson Generals
- RHP Federico Baez Palced on DL - Carolina Mudcats
- Hank Aaron Childhood Home & Museum Providing Education for Area Youth - Mobile BayBears
- SS Kris Negron, LHP Lee Tabor Promoted - Carolina Mudcats
- Donell Linares to DL, Dan Nelson to Mississippi - Mississippi Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.