Knights and Clippers Postponed on Thursday, Doubleheader Friday
(Fort Mill, SC) - Thursday's game between the Charlotte Knights and Columbus Clippers scheduled for 7:15 p.m. was postponed due to heavy rain and unplayable conditions. The game will be made up as part of a doubleheader on Friday night beginning at 6:15 p.m. The Knights and Clippers will play two seven-inning games and gates will open at 5:30 p.m. on Friday.
Tickets from Thursday's game can be exchanged for an equivalent ticket for any 2013 Knights game (excluding July 3rd). Tickets can be exchanged in person at the Knights Ticket Office.
Friday's game features an appearance by National Baseball Hall-of-Famer Gaylord Perry, who will sign autographs for fans. A five-time All-Star, Perry was the first pitcher to win the Cy Young Award in each league, winning it in the American League in 1972 with the Cleveland Indians, and in the National League in 1978 with the San Diego Padres. Over his marvelous 22-year career, he compiled 314 wins, 3,534 strikeouts, and a 3.11 earned run average. On September 17, 1968, Perry, as a member of the San Francisco Giants, no-hit the St. Louis Cardinals by a score of 1-0 at Candlestick Park.
Perry, who was elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 1991, threw out the ceremonial first pitch at Knights Stadium on Opening Day, April 18, 1992.
In 1999, Perry was ranked by The Sporting News as one of the 100 Greatest Baseball Players in Major League Baseball history. On July 23, 2005 the San Francisco Giants retired Perry's uniform number (36), and four years later, he was inducted into the Bay Area Sports Hall of Fame (2009).
The Knights will send RHP Jason Berken (4-6, 4.24) to the hill in game one of the doubleheader on Friday. Columbus will go with RHP Trevor Bauer (2-2, 4.02).
GAME 1: Charlotte Knights: RHP Jason Berken (4-6, 4.24) Columbus Clippers: RHP Trevor Bauer (2-2, 4.02)
GAME 2: Charlotte Knights: TBA Columbus Clippers: LHP T.J. House (1-5, 5.91)
Tickets for all games on the homestand are on sale now and can be purchased in person at Knights Stadium, by phone at 704-357-8071 ext. 2106, or online at www.charlotteknights.com. Knights Baseball. Tradition Never Ends
International League Stories from June 13, 2013
- Hens Rally Back for Third Straight Road Victory - Toledo Mud Hens
- Fifth Inning Explosion Gives Bulls Win over Indy - Durham Bulls
- Lehigh Valley Scores Two in Seventh in 4-2 Win over SWB - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Red Wings Post-Game Notes - Rochester Red Wings
- Chiefs Lose Early Lead in Loss to Mud Hens - Syracuse Chiefs
- Boston Red Sox Recall RHP Alex Wilson - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Knights and Clippers Postponed on Thursday, Doubleheader Friday - Charlotte Knights
- PawSox Stopped by Rain - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Slama Released, Eppley Assigned to Rochester - Rochester Red Wings
- Red Wings vs. Braves - Game Notes - June 13, 2013 - Rochester Red Wings
- RailRiders vs. IronPigs - Game Notes - June 13, 2013 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- IronPigs vs. RailRiders - Game Notes - June 13, 2013 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bisons vs. Paw Sox - Game Notes - June 13, 2013 - Buffalo Bisons
- IronPigs and RailRiders Announce "IronRail" Trophy Series - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- RailRiders & IronPigs Announce "IronRail" Trophy Series - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Chiefs Announce Upcoming Promotions - Syracuse Chiefs
- Xander Bogaerts to Join Pawucket Red Sox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Ferguson Jenkins Appearance at Red Wings Game Cancelled - Rochester Red Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.