Karpa Signs PTO, Jarmuth Returned To Trenton
BRIDGEPORT, CT - The American Hockey League's Bridgeport Sound Tigers, top affiliate of the National Hockey League's New York Islanders, have signed veteran defenseman Dave Karpa to a professional tryout contract and returned blueliner Mike Jarmuth on loan to the ECHL's Trenton Titans.
Karpa, 34, brings 557 NHL games and 14 seasons of professional experience to the Sound Tigers. The 6'1'' 210-pounder from Regina, Saskatchewan was selected in the fourth round, 68th overall, of the 1991 NHL Entry Draft by the Quebec Nordiques and totaled 18 goals, 80 assists, 98 points and 1,374 penalty minutes in his big-league career. After two years (1990-92) at Ferris State University, Karpa played parts of four seasons (1991-95) with Quebec and its AHL affiliates, the Halifax Citadels and Cornwall Aces. During the 1994-95 campaign, he moved to the Anaheim Mighty Ducks and played for them exclusively at the NHL level until the end of the 1997-98 season. Karpa spent the next three years (1998-2001) with the NHL's Carolina Hurricanes also appearing in 39 games with the International Hockey League's Cincinnati Cyclones in 1999-2000. He played two seasons (2001-03) for the NHL's New York Rangers also appearing in 34 games with the AHL's Hartford Wolf Pack in 2002-03. Karpa split 2003-04 between the AHL's Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins and Khabarovsk Amur in Russia. He returned to North America last year and appeared in five games for the AHL's Syracuse Crunch and 20 with the ECHL's San Diego Gulls.
Jarmuth was loaned to Trenton after attending both Islanders and Sound Tigers training camps this fall but was recalled on October 12th. The 6'0'' 205-pounder from Monkton, Ontario has one assist and four penalty minutes in 15 AHL games with the Sound Tigers and squeezed in an assist and two penalty minutes during a one-game ECHL assignment to the Titans this season.
The Sound Tigers will finish a stretch of four straight road games when they visit the Lowell Lock Monsters this Friday at 7:35 p.m. The Sound Tigers' next home games at Bridgeport's Arena at Harbor Yard will be this Saturday and Sunday, December 3rd and 4th when they host the Philadelphia Phantoms Saturday at 7:05 p.m. and the Hartford Wolf Pack Sunday at 4:05 p.m. The Sound Tigers will also be home this coming Wednesday, December 7th to host the Hershey Bears at 11 a.m. in the third-annual, educationally-themed "Cool Fun 101" morning game.
Information regarding Sound Tigers ticket packages and promotions is available by calling 203-334-GOAL or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. All Sound Tigers games are web-cast live at www.soundtigers.com. Fans can also watch all games live on the B2 Networks.
American Hockey League Stories from December 1, 2005
- Rampage Snap Skid in AHL's 30,000th Game - San Antonio Rampage
- Griffins Edge Knights In Another Shootout, 4-3 - Abbotsford Heat
- Griffins withstand rally, win in shootout - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Stars Add Two Blueliners - Iowa Chops
- Stars bolster defensive corps - Iowa Chops
- Amerks sign Sheppard to PTO - Rochester Americans
- Rivermen create new ticket package for the holidays - Peoria Rivermen
- Rats' Teddy Bear Toss to Benefit RMcDH on December 10th - Albany River Rats
- Zanon Recalled by Nashville - Milwaukee Admirals
- Tallackson Returns to River Rats - Albany River Rats
- Meet Kotyk, Stokes at Sugar Land Ice & Sports Center this Friday - Houston Aeros
- Wild assigns D Ferguson to Aeros - Houston Aeros
- Boucer, Jones assigned to Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Karpa Signs PTO, Jarmuth Returned To Trenton - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Ben Fumega Is November Youth Hockey All-Star - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Kostitsyn recalled by Canadiens - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Smyth Earns CCM/AHL Milestone Of The Month - Manchester Monarchs
- Tambellini Named Rbk Hockey/AHL Rookie Of The Month - Manchester Monarchs
- Rampage GameDay - San Antonio Rampage
- Purinton heads to Rangers - Connecticut Whale
- Finley Named Goaltender of the Month - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monarchs' Tambellini named Rbk Hockey/AHL Rookie of the Month - AHL
- Monarchs' Smyth earns CCM/AHL Milestone of the Month - AHL
- Milwaukee's Finley named Koho/AHL Goaltender of the Month - AHL
- Ti-Cats and Argos players, alumni to attend December 2 game - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Texas Teams, Fans To Support Sea Wolves - San Antonio Rampage
- Rampage to wear Spurs jerseys Friday - San Antonio Rampage
- Salvation Army Angel Tree Nights Approach - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Smith recalled by Edmonton - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Marlies goin double-blue in weekend set with Dogs - Toronto Marlies
- Wolves Players Continue to Promote Reading Program - Chicago Wolves
- Blackhawks recall Hilbert, Thornton, assign Cullen - Norfolk Admirals
- Blackhawks sign pair, Thornton to Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.