Kane County wraps up 17th season of baseball with a defeat in Wisconsin
APPLETON, Wisc. - The Kane County Cougars finished their 17th season of baseball on Monday afternoon with a 1-0 loss against the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers in front of 3,064 fans at Time Warner Cable Field. The Cougars finished 39-31 in the second half and 63-75, missing the playoffs for only the second time as an Oakland A's affiliate.
Starter James Heuser pitched eight innings of seven-hit shutout ball, walking one and fanning seven in a no-decision. Meanwhile the Cougars' offense managed just three hits in their season finale, a double by Christian Vitters and singles by Josh Horton and Haas Pratt.
Derrick Gordon (3-3) took the loss, allowing an unearned run in the bottom of the ninth. Pinch-runner Calvin Beamon stole second and took third on an error and later scored on an error for the 1-0 finish.
The Cougars split that series and won 13 of their final 18 games, taking a second-half playoff charge down to the season's final weekend before bowing out.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from September 3, 2007
- Big Inning Ends Loons Season With Loss - Great Lakes Loons
- Lugnuts Cap Regular Season With Sweep - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bees End Season with a Win - Burlington Bees
- Swept to end the regular season - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Kernels drop season finale to Chiefs, 5-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Snappers To Face Quad Cities In First Round - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Win Season Finale, Beat Kernels 5-2 - Peoria Chiefs
- Chiefs Set Franchise Attendance Record - Peoria Chiefs
- Snappers End Regular Season on Positive Note - Beloit Snappers
- Swing Swept Away In Beloit - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Drop Regular Season Finale 8-5 - Dayton Dragons
- Kane County wraps up 17th season of baseball with a defeat in Wisconsin - Kane County Cougars
- Rattlers End Season With A Walk Off - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Playoffs Are Coming On Wednesday - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Kernels make the playoffs - Cedar Rapids Kernels