K-Wings Shutout Stingrays
North Charleston, SC- Brilliant goaltending from Riley Gill, stingy defense and timely scoring led the Kalamazoo Wings to a 3-0 victory Wednesday night against the South Carolina Stingrays and helped the K-Wings take a three games to none strangle hold in the best-of-seven Eastern Conference Semi-Finals.
Scoring on two of their first four shots of the night, the K-Wings set the tone in game three. Nick Sirota extended his point streak to seven games and his goal streak to three games 2:44 into the game on a rebound marker. Kory Karlander, who assisted on the tally, pushed his point streak to five games.
Just 51 seconds later, Justin Taylor notched his second post-season tally with a wrister from the high slot.
Pushing the lead to 3-0, Kalamazoo closed out the scoring with a goal from Trent Daavettila (2nd), who found the loose puck to the left of and sent it into an unprotected net 14:53 into the stanza.
South Carolina outshot Kalamazoo 30-23 for the game, including 6-1 in the third period.
The shutout was Gill's first postseason shutout in his career and the K-Wings second since joining the ECHL. Kalamazoo's last postseason shutout was back on May 8, 2011, a 4-0 decision against the Wheeling Nailers in the Eastern Conference Finals.
Gill raised his record to 6-1 in the playoffs, while Madore, who made 20 saves in the contest, dropped his recorded to 2-3 in the postseason.
Kalamazoo and South Carolina will continue the Eastern Conference Semi-Finals with game four of the best-of-seven series this Friday, April 20th with a 7:05 p.m. encounter at the North Charleston Coliseum in North Charleston, South Carolina.
If necessary, the K-Wings and Stingrays will return to Wings Stadium on Tuesday, April 24th for a 7 p.m. face-off in game six of the Eastern Conference Semi-Finals. During all second round home games, the K-Wings are offering special Fan Appreciation 25-cent hot dogs.
Tickets for the K-Wings round one playoff games are $16.05 and $19.95 for adults, $15.05 for seniors (62 years and older) and military (with proper ID) and only $10.05 for kids ages 12 and under. Fans can save money by purchasing K-Wings single game tickets in advance because tickets purchased on the day of a game increase by $1.
ECHL Stories from April 18, 2012
- Everblades Shutout Jackals 2-0 in Game 4 - Florida Everblades
- Jackals Shut out by Everblades in Game 4 - Elmira Jackals
- K-Wings Shutout Stingrays - Kalamazoo Wings
- Wings Shutout Stingrays in Game Three - South Carolina Stingrays
- Bruton, Shields Re-Assigned to Aces - Alaska Aces
- Watch Aces Playoff Games on GCI Cable - Alaska Aces
- ECHL Transactions - April 18 - ECHL
- Wranglers up 2-0 in Western Conference Semifinals Series - Las Vegas Wranglers
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Everblades Receive Shugg from Charlotte; Sign Goaltender Venti to ATO - Florida Everblades
- Game Preview (Game 3): Stockton Thunder (#5) Vs. Alaska Aces (#1) - Stockton Thunder
- Condors Season Review Pt. II: Condors Eclipse $4.3 Million Mark - Bakersfield Condors
- Countdown to Face-Off - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays Kelly Cup Quest Daily - South Carolina Stingrays
- Stingrays Gameday: Stingrays Return to Coliseum for Game Three Against Wings - South Carolina Stingrays
- Jackals Playoff Game Preview: Elmira at Florida - Elmira Jackals
- ECHL Today - April 18 - ECHL
- Wranglers Take Game Two with 3-2 Overtime Win - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Wranglers Edge Steelheads in Overtime - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.