Joe Sacco Named Assistant Coach of U.S. Men's National Team
Today USA Hockey named Joe Sacco, head coach of the Lake Erie Monsters, as an assistant coach for the 2009 U.S. Men's National Team that will compete in the 2009 International Ice Hockey Federation World Championship, April 24th-May 10th, in Berne and Zurich-Kloten, Switzerland.
Sacco just completed his second season at the helm of the Monsters, the American Hockey League affiliate of the Colorado Avalanche. This season was Sacco's fourth with the Avalanche organization, having served as assistant coach for the club's previous two AHL affiliates, Lowell and Albany.
The 2009 U.S. Men's National Team will be led by Head Coach Ron Wilson, current head coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs, and recently named head coach of the 2010 U.S. Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Team. Scott Gordon, head coach of the New York Islanders, has already been named as an assistant coach for the 2009 U.S. Men's Team.
Sacco played on eight different U.S. National Teams over the course of his career, including one U.S. Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Team (1992); six U.S. Men's National Teams in the IIHF World Men's Championship (1990-92, 1994, 1996, 2002) and one U.S. National Junior Team (1989). This will be his first time joining the coaching staff of any U.S. team.
Sacco was a fourth round draft pick (71st overall) of the Toronto Maple Leafs in the 1987 NHL Entry Draft. He recorded 213 points (94G, 119A) in 738 total games over his 13-year career in the NHL, which included stints with Toronto, Anaheim, New York Islanders, Washington and Philadelphia.
Born in Medford, Massachusetts, Sacco attended college at Boston University, where he posted 128 points (63G, 65A) in a total of 111 games over three years.
Season ticket plans for the 2009-10 Monsters season, starting at just $10 per seat per game, are on sale now by calling (216) 420-0000 or visiting LakeErieMonsters.com.
American Hockey League Stories from April 15, 2009
- Peoria Downs Aeros 6-4 In Game One - Peoria Rivermen
- Marlies take first blood in OT - Manitoba Moose
- P-Bruins Fall To Pirates 3-0 - Providence Bruins
- Aeros lose 6-4 to Peoria in Game One after comeback effort - Houston Aeros
- Portland Blanks Providence in Game One - Portland Pirates
- Admirals See 6.5% Attendance Increase - Milwaukee Admirals
- Senators Sign Ryan Shannon to a One-year Contract - Binghamton Senators
- Griffins/Bulldogs Playoff Preview - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Dairy Queen Presents Friday's Playoff Game - Peoria Rivermen
- Aeros announce road playoff games to be aired at The Maple Leaf Pub - Houston Aeros
- Wolf Pack Add Defenseman Tomas Kundratek - Connecticut Whale
- Joe Sacco Named Assistant Coach of U.S. Men's National Team - Lake Erie Monsters
- Houston Aeros playoff run begins tonight at Peoria - Houston Aeros
- AHL Morning Skate - AHL
- East Division Semifinals Preview - Philadelphia Phantoms vs. Hershey Bears - Adirondack Phantoms
- Leino Leaves, Axelsson Arrives - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Houston Aeros sign goaltender Munce, reassigned left wing Olvecky - Houston Aeros
- Sobotka Assigned to P-Bruins - Providence Bruins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.