Jaxx Pitchers Toss One-Hit Shutout in 6-0 Win
JACKSONVILLE, FL. (April 11, 2010) - Jaxx pitchers, Mauricio Robles, Josh Fields, Edward Parades and Anthony Varvaro combined to deal a one hit shutout in the Diamond Jaxx (3-1) 6-0 win over the Suns (1-3). The Diamond Jaxx out-hit the Suns 12-1 on Sunday in front of 3,390 fans at the Baseball Grounds.
Guillermo Quiroz collected his third multi-hit game of year going 3-for-5 with his league leading seventh RBI. Carlos Triunfel and Carlos Peguero each picked up two hits in the win.
Josh Fields (1-0) earned the win for the Jaxx in his second outing of 2010, working 2.1 scoreless innings. Jose Rosario (0-1) took the loss for the Suns.
With two outs in the top of the first inning, Carlos Peguero plugged the left-center gap, scoring Johan Limonta and Mike Wilson giving the Jaxx an early 2-0 lead. West Tenn scored nine runs in the first inning of the last three games.
The Jaxx added another run in the top of the fifth inning. Guillermo Quiroz picked up his seventh RBI of the series, driving home Mike Wilson to give the Jaxx a 3-0 lead.
Jaxx starter, Mauricio Robles, in his Double-A debut dealt 4.1 innings before the pitch count was reached on Sunday. He allowed no runs on just one hit while striking out five in his Jaxx debut.
In the top of the eighth inning, after a pair of hits by Leury Bonilla and Kuo Hui Lo, each scored on wild pitches by Suns pitcher Adalberto Mendez. The Jaxx opened up a 5-0 lead in the eighth inning.
Alex Liddi collected his sixth RBI of the year with a groundout to third, plating Mike Wilson, securing the Jaxx 6-0 win on Sunday afternoon.
The Jaxx and Suns meet again on Monday morning with the first pitch set for 10:05 CDT. Jaxx RHP Michael Pineda (0-0, 0.00) will face off against Suns RHP Brad Stone (0-0, 0.00).
Southern League Stories from April 11, 2010
- Barons Fall to Carolina, 4-1 - Birmingham Barons
- Mudcats top Barons, 4-1 - Carolina Mudcats
- Jaxx Pitchers Toss One-Hit Shutout in 6-0 Win - Jackson Generals
- West Tenn Clinches Series with Shutout of Suns - Jacksonville Suns
- Biscuits Use Throwing Error to Walkoff in Wild Ninth - Montgomery Biscuits
- Smokies Make Tt Four-for-Four So Far - Mississippi Braves
- Smokies Streak To Fourth Straight 4-1 - Tennessee Smokies
- Wild Ninth Gives BayBears Hope, Heartbreak In Loss To Biscuits - Mobile BayBears
- Stars Edge Lookouts, 5-2 - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Coughlin To Reno, Clifford And Sosa Trade Places On DL - Mobile BayBears
- Barons Drop Third Straight to Carolina, 3-2 - Birmingham Barons
- Biscuits Win Pitchers' Duel - Montgomery Biscuits
- Tennessee beats Mississippi - Mississippi Braves
- Pitcher's Duel Sides with Biscuits as BayBears Drop for the First Time - Mobile BayBears
- Smokies Take First Series with 7-3 Win - Tennessee Smokies
- Stars Stifle Lookouts, 11-1 - Chattanooga Lookouts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.