Jaxx Hold off BayBears in Series Opener
JACKSON, Tenn. - Despite a late surge from the BayBears' offense, the West Tenn Diamond Jaxx were able to clamp on to their seventh consecutive victory on Wednesday night at Pringles Park as they knocked off the BayBears 3-2.
Southern League All-Star Matt Torra (6-7) turned in another solid effort as he worked seven innings while only allowing one earned run but a defensive mistake hurt the BayBears (46-40, 9-7) late. Already down 1-0, Sean Coughlin booted a ball in the bottom of the seventh which allowed Guillermo Quiroz to reach with one away.
Quiroz was doubled to third on a knock by Jimmy Mojica. With two outs, Greg Halman singled both men home to make it 3-0 in favor of West Tenn (39-48, 12-5). All three runs for the Jaxx were scored with two outs as they also put together a two-out rally in the fourth with Johan Limonta doubling and scoring on a three-base hit by David Espinosa.
Kyle Parker (5-4) tossed seven scoreless frames for West Tenn although he had a couple trouble spots including one in the seventh when the BayBears put men on the corners with only one out. Ricardo Sosa doubled in front of Matt Tupman's first hit as a BayBear, but Pete Clifford killed the rally with a 4-6-3 inning-ending double play.
Another threat was thwarted in the eighth as Ricky Orta surrendered a walk and two singles to load the bases for Cyle Hankerd, but he struck out swinging to retire the side.
Phillippe Aumont (S, 2) nailed it down in the ninth but not without more drama. Tupman singled with one away and moved to second when Clifford was hit by a pitch. Both men advanced on a wild pitch by Aumont which set up Mark Hallberg who singled to right. Tupman scored on the hit, and Clifford came home on an error by Mike Wilson to pull the visitors within one. Aumont buckled down from there and fanned Evan Frey and Pedro Ciriaco to end the ballgame.
The Mobile BayBears have sent nearly 100 players to the major leagues. They battle the Diamond Jaxx in the second of their four-game set on Thursday night at 7:05 with Wes Roemer (4-5, 3.58) getting the start. The BayBears return home on Wednesday, July 15 to take on the Birmingham Barons at 7:05 p.m. For Hank Aaron Stadium tickets, call (251) 479-BEAR or log on to www.mobilebaybears.com.
Southern League Stories from July 8, 2009
- Papelbon Returns To Smokies From Triple-A Iowa - Tennessee Smokies
- Jennings, Biscuits Batter Smokies in Opener Wednesday, 6-3 - Tennessee Smokies
- Jaxx Hold off BayBears in Series Opener - Mobile BayBears
- Jaxx Win Streak Reaches Seven with 3-2 Win Over Mobile - Jackson Generals
- Losing Streak Ends with Ninth Inning Rally, 6-3 - Montgomery Biscuits
- May Powers Looks Past Stars - Huntsville Stars
- Lookouts Endure Stars - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Jordan Danks Named to Southern League All-Star Team - Birmingham Barons
- Barons Announce Celebrity Softball Game Information - Birmingham Barons
- Mahon Promoted, Septimo to BayBears - Mobile BayBears
- C Yamid Haad traded to Portland - Jackson Generals
- Home Run Derby Participants Announced - Birmingham Barons
- David Cook Promoted to Charlotte - Birmingham Barons
- One Time Only - AL Championship Trophy - Montgomery Biscuits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.