Jason Heyward and Cody Johnson Voted into the '09 All-Star Game
WOODBRIDGE, VA - The Carolina League has announced that outfielders Jason Heyward and Cody Johnson have been named to league's All-Star team that will take on the California League All-Stars on Tuesday, June 23 in Lake Elsinore, CA.
Johnson, 20, made the team as a designated hitter by hitting a league best 18 home runs with a .267 average and 39 RBIs, good for third in the league. He is currently one big fly shy of the overall Minor League home run lead. Baseball America ranked Johnson as the #12 prospect in the Atlanta Braves system prior to the start of this season.
Heyward, 19, is in the top 10 in the league with his .295 average he also has nine home runs and 22 RBIs. Ranked as the #2 prospect in the Braves organization at the start of the season, Heyward has played in 37 games but has been out of the lineup since May 26 nursing a tweaked oblique. This is the second time the young prospect has been honored this season, the Carolina League named Heyward Player of the Week for May 11-17. When he returns to action, he will look to extend his seven-game hit streak over which time he has raised his average 34 points.
The Carolina League All-Stars will be led by Pelicans manager Rocket Wheeler. Wheeler was named Minor League Baseball's Manager of the Year by Baseball America following the 2008 season which had the Pelicans competing for the Mills Cup against the Potomac Nationals after posting a regular season record of 89-51.
Voting for the game was conducted by each team's general manager and manager and a member of the media from each city.
Carolina League Stories from June 7, 2009
- Lynchburg Hillcats Game Notes - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Kinston Swept at Winston-Salem - Kinston Indians
- Dash Sweep K-Tribe, Extend Win Streak to Eight - Winston-Salem Dash
- Three Dash Named to Carolina League All-Star Team - Winston-Salem Dash
- Keys Salavage Series Split with Red Sox - Frederick Keys
- Salem Held to Just Four Hits, Fall 5.5 Back in Southern Division - Salem Red Sox
- Blue Rock Takes Two from Lynchburg - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Nats and Pelicans Play to Split of Double-Header - Potomac Nationals
- Cats Swept in Double-Header - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Jason Heyward and Cody Johnson Voted into the '09 All-Star Game - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Pelicans and P-Nats Split Double-Header - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Lynchburg Sends Trio to All-Star Game - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Four Rocks Named All-Stars - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Chisenhall, Phelps and Berger are All-Stars - Kinston Indians
- Loop to Represent Sox in High-A Midsummer Classic - Salem Red Sox
- Six Keys Headed to All-Star Game - Frederick Keys
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.