Iowa Loses to Manitoba 4-3
WINNIPEG, MANITOBA - Iowa Wild (17-13-6-3; 43 points) fell to ManitobaMoose (26-8-3-2; 57 pts.) 3-2 at MTS Bell Place Sunday afternoon. Wild goaltender Niklas Svedberg (33 saves) made his first start since Dec. 15 in the loss.
Manitoba scored the first goal of the game just 1:19 into the first period, when defenseman Peter Stoykewych took a shot from the blue line. His shot deflected off Svedberg's glove, bounced off forward Buddy Robinson and into the back of the net. Stoykewych added a power-play goal to his assist at 5:06 in the first period to double Manitoba's lead. Stoykewych one-timed a pass from the right point and beat Svedberg glove side for the 2-0 advantage.
Wild forward Sam Anas cut into the Moose's lead when he potted his 14th goal of the season. On the power-play, defenseman Zach Palmquist fed forward Cal O'Reilly the puck on the point, who rifled a shot on net. O'Reilly's shot ricocheted off the cross-bar and right to Anas at the back door. With a wide open net, Anas buried the rebound, recording the Wild's 10th consecutive road game with a power-play goal.
At the end of the first period, Manitoba led 2-1 with a 14-3 shot advantage. All three goals in the frame were power-play goals. The Moose regained a two-goal lead when Manitoba forward Francis Beauvillier scored his first of the season. On a 2-on-1, forward Michael Spacek sent a pass to Beauvillier and he lofted the puck over Svedberg's glove to take a 3-1 lead.
Wild forward Zach Mitchell scored his first goal since being reassigned to Iowa at 16:28 in the second period. Wild forward Christoph Bertschy sprung Mitchell with a lead pass and Mitchell snuck his shot through Moose goaltender Eric Comrie's (18 saves) legs for the breakaway goal. After two periods, the Moose led 3-2.
The score held through the third period and when the final horn sounded, the Wild dropped the game 3-2 and were outshot 36-20. In the loss, O'Reilly recorded a point in his third consecutive game, registering seven points (2g, 5a) during that stretch. Anas added a goal to extend his point streak to four games, recording seven points (3g, 4a) in those contests.
The Wild returns home to Wells Fargo Arena for a three-game home stretch starting Wednesday. The home stand kicks off with a 7:00 p.m. puck drop against Chicago Wolves.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 15, 2018
- San Antonio Reassigns Forward Thomas Frazee to Norfolk Admirals - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Win Wild Overtime Thriller at Hershey - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Iowa Loses to Manitoba 3-2 - Iowa Wild
- Iowa Loses to Manitoba 4-3 - Iowa Wild
- San Antonio Splits Weekend Series with Milwaukee After 3-1 Victory - San Antonio Rampage
- Manitoba Moose Recap: Iowa 2 at Manitoba 3 - Manitoba Moose
- T-Birds Fly Past P-Bruins After Three-Goal Second Period - Providence Bruins
- San Antonio Recalls Forwards J.C. Beaudin and Shawn St. Amant From - San Antonio Rampage
- LA Kings Kings Recall Forward Jonny Brodzinski from Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Winnipeg Jets Release - Jets Reassign Hutchinson, Lemieux And - Manitoba Moose
- Sound Tigers Recall Jones, Cornell from ECHL - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Hogs Extend Point Streak in Last-Second OT Loss to Condors - Rockford IceHogs
- Condors Down Rockford in Overtime, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- POSTGAME - San Diego 2 vs. Tucson 4 - San Diego Gulls
- Reign Mist Wolves to Split Season Series - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Shutout Amerks, 4-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Cleveland's Korpisalo Cools off Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Recap: Amerks Come up Empty-Handed in Syracuse - Rochester Americans
- Tokarski (29 Saves) Backstops 2-1 Win over Rival Hershey - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- CLEVELAND MONSTERS: Monsters Cap Lengthy Road Trip with 2-1 Win Over - Cleveland Monsters
- Recap - Sound Tigers 2, Bruins 1 (SO) - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- WOLF PACK GAME RECAP - Belleville Senators 4, Hartford Wolf Pack 2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- COMRIE'S 3-POINT NIGHT CASTS OUT DEVILS IN OT - Utica Comets
- Sound Tigers Bite Bruins in Shootout 2-1 - Providence Bruins
- GAME RECAP: Checkers Run out of Gas in 3-1 Loss to Marlies - Charlotte Checkers
- RECAP: Penguins' Pedan Scores Hat Trick in 4-3 Win over Rocket - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Manitoba Moose Recap: Iowa 5 at Manitoba 4 - Manitoba Moose
- Dominic Turgeon Recalled by Detroit - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Canucks Reassign Nikolay Goldobin to the Utica Comets - Utica Comets
- Iowa Wild Recalls Forward Jack Walker from Rapid City - Iowa Wild
- Rampage Recall Forward Michael Joly from Colorado Eagles - San Antonio Rampage
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Goaltender Louis Domingue to Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Hogs Bury Barracuda, Extend Point Streak to 4 Games - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolves Rally in Third to Clip Condors - Chicago Wolves
- Milwaukee Powers Past San Antonio 4-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- CLEVELAND MONSTERS: Blue Jackets Assign Joonas Korpisalo, Tyler Motte - Cleveland Monsters
- Four-Goal Third Period Sends Amerks to 5-2 Win Over - Rochester Americans
- Griffins Claim Ninth Win in Last 11 Games - Grand Rapids Griffins
- RECAP: Haggerty's Hat Trick Lifts Penguins Past Senators, 6-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.