Injuries Force Warzycha to Juggle Lineup
OBETZ, Ohio - ColumbusÃÂ Crew manager Robert Warzycha likes to keep his starting lineup a secret from the media, but it wasn't too hard to figure it out for a few weeks when he went with the same XI for four straight matches earlier this season.
However, speaking after Thursday's practice, it's apparent even two days before the game at Toronto FC (Saturday, 5 pm ET, watch on MLS Live) that he is not sure who to put on the field because of injuries.
Center back Chad Marshall is out for sure after straining a hamstring last week vs. Colorado, but his replacement could depend on the health of Danny O'Rourke, the midfielder/defender who missed the last match with a sprained ankle.
"We'll see," Warzycha told MLSsoccer.com of O'Rourke's availability for Saturday.
He had the same reply when asked about AgustÃ-n Viana, the central midfielder for the first seven matches alongside O'Rourke, who was 20 minutes into his first start at left back on April 27 when he was replaced because of a hamstring injury of his own. Viana has not played the last two games.
If O'Rourke and Viana aren't cleared for Saturday, the muddied picture becomes a little clearer.
MatÃ-as SÃÂ¡nchez made his first MLS start in midfield for O'Rourke against the Rapids and gave a good account of himself, partnering with Tony Tchani. Warzycha likely would stick with that combo for a second straight week.ÃÂ
The possibilities for Marshall's spot include a healthy O'Rourke, right back Josh Williams or third-year player Eric Gehrig, who has not appeared in a game this season.
"Obviously not getting any first-team minutes, or even being on the bench, is not ideal, but that's the cards that have been dealt," Gehrig told MLSsoccer.com. "Last year I had good experiences with these kind of situations and not just last year, but the year before. They have helped me prepare for Saturday if called upon."
Gehrig has 20 career appearances with 12 starts, including eight last year.
"He's here every day in practice and doing well," Warzycha said. "He plays the reserve games in that same position.
"Gehrig is ready to play. If he does his job, he'll be fine. If Josh Williams goes over there and does his job, he'll be fine, too."
A Williams start at center back could mean an MLS debut for Homegrown rookie right back Chad Barson.
Major League Soccer Stories from May 17, 2013
- LA Galaxy Have Their Sights Set on Stopping New York Red Bulls Henry - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Chivas USA Daily News - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Red Bulls Host LA Galaxy Sunday at Red Bull Arena at 1:00 pm - New York Red Bulls
- Sporting KC Back on Road at D.C. United on Sunday - Sporting Kansas City
- Houston Dynamo Host New England Revolution on Saturday Night at BBVA Compass Stadium - Houston Dynamo
- Seahawks and Sounders FC License Plates Available in January 2014 - Seattle Sounders FC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Suspends Jairo Arrieta - Columbus Crew SC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Suspends Columbus Forward Jairo Arrieta - MLS
- D.C. United Showcase to Take Place in Roanoke, Va., on June 16 - D.C. United
- Revolution Heads to Texas to Battle the Houston Dynamo - New England Revolution
- Newtown Parent Connection, Inc. (NPC) Announces Soccer Revolution Fundraiser - New England Revolution
- Black & Gold by the Numbers: May 17 - Columbus Crew SC
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew vs. Toronto FC - Columbus Crew SC
- Advisory: Chicago Fire Goalkeeper Sean Johnson to Throw out First Pitch at White Sox Game - Chicago Fire
- Kei Kamara and Soony Saad Selected for Upcoming International Matches - Sporting Kansas City
- RSL to Close Three-Game Road Trip Sunday at Chivas USA - Real Salt Lake
- Real Salt Lake DF Rich Balchan to Miss 4-6 Months After Successful Shoulder Surgery - Real Salt Lake
- Preview: Crew at Toronto FC - Columbus Crew SC
- Injuries Force Warzycha to Juggle Lineup - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.