Hughes helps Thunder to 3-0 win
(Trenton, NJ)- Phil Hughes tossed seven shutout innings with eight strikeouts as the Trenton Thunder blanked New Hampshire, 3-0, Tuesday night in Eastern League play. The shutout was the sixth of the year for the Thunder (32-31).
Both starting pitchers, Hughes and Kurt Isenberg of New Hampshire, kept the teams off the scoreboard throught the first four innings. Trenton scored the first run of the night in the 5th Inning. After a leadoff walk and a single, 3B Kevin Howard singled home 1B Eric Duncan for the lead. But the rally was cut down as C Omir Santos hit into a triple play on a ground ball to New Hampshire 3B Brad Hassey.
Trenton took a 2-0 lead off Isenberg in the 6th Inning. DH Randy Ruiz delivered a two-out double to left that scored SS J.T. Stotts. Isenberg (2-7) took the loss allowing two runs on seven hits in seven innings. The Thunder made it a 3-0 game with a two-out RBI single from LF Shelley Duncan in the 8th Inning.
Hughes delivered his best performance at Double-A so far by not allowing a hit in the first five innings. CF Justin Singleton broke up a no-hit bid with a one-out double in the 6th Inning. Hughes held the Fisher Cats (27-34) to just one hit over his seven innings with a season-best eight batters and three walks.
Trenton and New Hampshire meet again on Wednesday at 7:05 PM. Tyler Clippard (2-8, 5.29) starts for the Thunder against the Fisher Cats' Kyle Yates (2-5, 4.70).
Eastern League Stories from June 13, 2006
- Portland blows game open in the eighth, Baysox fall 9-3 - Bowie Baysox
- Curve comeback not enough, fall to Senators 11-9 - Altoona Curve
- Fisher Cats shut out in Trenton - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Defenders a day late and a run short again for 5th straight - Connecticut Defenders
- Hughes helps Thunder to 3-0 win - Trenton Thunder
- Collazo blanks New Britain - Binghamton Mets
- Kurt Airoso hits 100th home run - Erie SeaWolves
- Harrisburg Senators game notes - Harrisburg Senators
- Guerrero Moved to Potomac - Harrisburg Senators
- Thunder 1B/OF Shelley Duncan named Eastern League Player of the Week - Trenton Thunder
- Eastern League names players of the week - EL
- Vaquedano Placed on the D.L., Goodson Called-Up from Wilmington - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.