Howard, Van Kirk Rally Fisher Cats to 7-3 Win
HARRISBURG, Pa. - Kevin Howard's two-run triple sparked a five-run fourth inning, and the Fisher Cats rallied to beat the Harrisburg Senators, 7-3, on Tuesday night at Metro Bank Park. Brian Van Kirk went 2-5 with a pair of doubles as the Fisher Cats evened this three-game series heading into the matinee finale on Wednesday.
The Fisher Cats big inning came with a 1-0 deficit attached to it against Harrisburg starter Ryan Perry (L; 1-2). Ryan Goins and Jake Marisnick reached to begin the frame before Howard tripled them home to put the Fisher Cats on top, 2-1. Two batters later, Van Kirk plated Howard with the first of his two extra-base hits. A walk, an error, and a double from Koby Clemens produced two more runs before the inning was over to push the lead to 5-1.
Harrisburg chipped away with two more runs against Chad Jenkins, netting a solo homer in the fourth and a run-scoring double in the sixth. Jenkins (W; 5-9) left after six, giving up three runs on seven hits to earn his first win in a month.
New Hampshire picked up an insurance run in the eighth as Kenen Bailli singled home Van Kirk. Another run scored in the ninth thanks to two walks, a stolen base, and a Harrisburg error.
The bullpen carried the baton from there. Chris Jakubauskas pitched a scoreless seventh before Trystan Magnuson stranded a pair in a scoreless eighth. Sam Dyson worked a scoreless ninth to seal the win.
The teams will play the rubber game of the series on Wednesday afternoon at 12 PM. RHP Ryan Tepera (3-1, 4.11) takes the ball against Harrisburg RHP Paul Demny (6-5, 5.31). Radio coverage begins at 11:45 AM with Tom Gauthier on the WGIR Fisher Cats Radio Network and www.nhfishercats.com.
The Fisher Cats return home for a six-game stand on Tuesday, July 31, with Fire Fighter Appreciation Night. Following the lead of Bank of New Hampshire, which donated $1,000, the Fisher Cats will donate 50% of $10 and $12 ticket sales to the Muscular Dystrophy Association when fans mention 'MDA' or 'FIREFIGHTERS' at the ticket window. The first 1,000 fans will receive a stress reliever fire truck courtesy of Bank of New Hampshire. For tickets and a full list of promotions for the homestand, visit www.nhfishercats.com.
Eastern League Stories from July 24, 2012
- R-Phils' Bleak July Drags on in 6-2 Defeat - Reading Fightin Phils
- Cohoon Leads B-Mets in 4-3 Thriller - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sixth Straight Win Puts Curve Back at .500 - Altoona Curve
- Howard, Van Kirk Rally Fisher Cats to 7-3 Win - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Hughes Walk off Evens Series - Bowie Baysox
- Rock Cats Edged by B-Mets, 4-3 - New Britain Rock Cats
- Pimentel Strong Again in 5-2 Sea Dogs Win over Trenton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rodriguez Homers Twice as Sea Dogs Top Thunder - Trenton Thunder
- Packer Sharp in Home Debut, Aeros Win 4-2 - Akron RubberDucks
- Squirrels Stunned by Baysox in Ninth, 3-2 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Late Rally Falls Short in Akron - Erie SeaWolves
- De La Torre Traded to Boston - Akron RubberDucks
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes at Bowie - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Tolentino Joins Aeros - Akron RubberDucks
- Sea Dogs Game Notes July 24 vs. Trenton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Fisher Cats Promote Jenna Raizes to Director - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- B-Mets Game Notes: at New Britain Rock Cats - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Baysox Elliot in the Morning Bobblehead Giveaway - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.