Houston signs right-hander Benitez
ROUND ROCK - The Houston Astros announced Saturday that the club has signed right-handed pitcher Armando Benitez to a Minor League contract. Benitez will report to Triple-A Round Rock on Sunday.
Benitez, 36, had been playing for Newark in the Independent League and was 1-0 with 16 saves and a 2.86 ERA in 34 relief outings. He recorded 43 strikeouts in 34 2/3 innings and held opponents to a .171 batting average.
In 15 Major League seasons, Benitez posted a 40-47 record with 289 saves and a 3.13 ERA (271ER/779IP) in 762 career relief appearances with Baltimore (1994-98), the New York Mets (1999-2003), the New York Yankees (2003), Seattle (2003), Florida (2004, 2007), San Francisco (2005-07) and Toronto (2008).
The addition of Benitez to the Express roster follows the Minor League rehab assignments of infielder Aaron Boone and right-handed pitcher Doug Brocail. Both will be in uniform for Round Rock's game against Memphis tonight at 7:05 p.m.
The Express has now undergone 104 transactions for the season.
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 22, 2009
- Portland ends Sacramento's seven-game win streak with 5-2 win - Portland Beavers
- Barnette gets 12th win in Reno victory - Reno Aces
- Z's blank Cubs - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Zephyrs shut out Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Memphis takes game one from Round Rock - Round Rock Express
- Houston signs right-hander Benitez - Round Rock Express
- Angels option O'Sullivan to Salt Lake - Salt Lake Bees
- RedHawks Game Notes for August 22 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Angels recall Rafael Rodriguez - Salt Lake Bees
- Aces explode for 7-3 victory - Reno Aces
- Beavers end homestand on high note - Portland Beavers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.