Home Stand Ends with Shootout Loss
Despite generating 37 shots on net, the Lake Erie Monsters (24-17-2-3) fell 3-2 in a shootout to the Hershey Bears (22-19-3-2) Tuesday night at Quicken Loans Arena. The Monsters concluded their five-game home stand with a 2-1-1-1 record. Paul Carey and Thomas Pock scored for the Monsters, while Calvin Pickard suffered the shootout loss in net despite making 31 saves.
Carey opened the scoring on a wrist shot from the top of the left circle just 42 seconds into the game, with assists from Bill Thomas and Andrew Agozzino. The goal was Carey's ninth of the season, and sixth over his last 10 games.
Hershey evened the score on former Monster Mike Carman's wrist shot from the left circle at 9:19 of the first period, before taking a 2-1 lead at 15:27 of the opening frame on a Barry Almeida power play goal.
The Monsters tied the game at 2:14 of the second period when Gary Steffes cleanly pulled a faceoff back to Pock at the center-point, and Pock immediately one-timed a slap shot over the shoulder of Hershey goalie Dany Sabourin to tie the game at 2-2. The goal was Pock's eighth of the season.
After a scoreless third period, and despite outshooting the Bears 6-3 in overtime, the Monsters were unable to net a sudden-death game-winner in the extra frame.
In the shootout, Ryan Potulny and Jeff Taffe scored to win the game for the Bears, while Markus Lauridsen was the only one of five Monsters shooters to solve Sabourin.
Pickard stopped 31 of 33 and is now 13-10-2. Sabourin is 7-7-1 for Hershey after stopping 35 of 37.
The Monsters will next head to Abbotsford this weekend for a back-to-back with the Heat on Saturday and Sunday.
NOTES: The Monsters are now 5-3 in shootouts this season, and are 10-7-1-2 overall at home... With an assist, Bill Thomas has 10 points over his last eight games... The Monsters are now 14-6-2-3 in 25 one-goal games this season... The Monsters were 0-7 on the power play, and have now failed to register a power play goal in two straight games after a string of six consecutive contests in which they did have a power play tally... Pickard is 7-2-1 over his last 10 starts since 12/29... Chris Reed made his Monsters debut after signing a professional tryout contract on Monday; the defenseman was previously playing for the ECHL's Cincinnati Cyclones. Reed is a graduate of Solon High School, and played four years collegiately at Ohio State.
American Hockey League Stories from February 5, 2013
- Home Stand Ends with Shootout Loss - Cleveland Monsters
- Whale Dropped by Albany in Shootout - Connecticut Whale
- Bears Skate to Shootout Win in Cleveland - Hershey Bears
- Devils Win at All Levels - Albany Devils
- Sharks Stun IceCaps with Late Comeback - St. John's IceCaps
- Sharks Shock IceCaps with Late 3rd Period Comeback for 3-2 Win - Worcester Sharks
- Oilers Assign Defenseman Theo Peckham to OKC on Conditioning - Oklahoma City Barons
- A Sweet Deal for You and Your Sweetheart - Rockford IceHogs
- Coyotes Recall Summers Assign Rundblad to Portland - Portland Pirates
- AHL Weekly - AHL
- Heat Beat Americans 3-2, Extend North Division Lead - Abbotsford Heat
- Albany Devils Add Stefan Stepanov - Albany Devils
- Griffins Face Test from South Division - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sound Tigers Host "Big Brothers Big Sisters Day" this Sunday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Vote Now For Stevens Jewelers Diamond In The Rough Award - Springfield Falcons
- Amerks' Five-Game Win Streak Snapped in 3-2 Loss to Heat - Rochester Americans
- Oilers Recall Mark Arcobello - Oklahoma City Barons
- Gallant Agrees to Entry-Level Deal - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Admirals to Donate $2 from All Tickets to Children's Hospital February 17 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Admirals Hope to Pick up Where They Left off at Home - Norfolk Admirals
- Rivermen Extend Point Streak to Five - Peoria Rivermen
- B-Sens 2013-14 Season and 2013 Calder Cup Playoff Tickets to Go on Sale Sunday - Binghamton Senators
- Haydar's Hat Trick and Sweatt's OT Winner Lead Wolves Past Peoria - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals to Host Donald Driver February 15 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Albany Devils Weekly - Albany Devils
- Rangers Assign Forward Brandon Mashinter to Connecticut - Connecticut Whale
- Anaheim Returns Devante Smith-Pelly to Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Audy-Marchessault Assigned To Falcons - Springfield Falcons
- Dallas Reassigned Tyler Beskorowany to Idaho - Texas Stars
- San Antonio Rampage Weekly Update - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Kick off Anti-Bullying Campaign - Syracuse Crunch
- B-Sens Announce Roster Moves - Binghamton Senators
- Amerks Launch "Sweets in Your Seats" Valentine's Day Pack - Rochester Americans
- Bruins Take You Can Play Pledge - Providence Bruins
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Texas Takes Down Houston, Continues To Lead The Ahl - Texas Stars
- Houston Aeros Fall to Rampage 5-2 - Houston Aeros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.