Holt's Return is Short, B-Mets Upended 8-3 by Aeros
After missing three weeks due to an ankle injury, Brad Holt's much anticipated return was short-lived as he recorded just one out while giving up five runs in Binghamton's 8-3 loss at Canal Park in Akron, OH Saturday night. It was Holt's shortest professional outing since being drafted in the supplemental first round last season.
Major League-rehabber Asdrubal Cabrera singled to start the Aeros' first inning at the plate and Holt followed it by walking Cristo Arnal. After Nick Weglarz flied out to left, Carlos Santana worked a walk to load the bases. Beau Mills laced a two-run single to right-center to get Akron on the board and Matt McBride followed with a three-run homer to left, giving the Aeros a 5-0 lead.
Akron (50-23) added to their lead in the fourth when Weglarz smashed a three-run shot to right off B-Mets reliever Connor Robertson. This put the Aeros in command 8-0.
After four shutout innings, Binghamton (27-46) finally got to Akron starter Josh Tomlin. After D.J. Wabick doubled to open the fifth, Ruben Tejada singled to put runners at the corners for Jose Coronado. Coronado jumped on a Tomlin fastball sending it into the right-field corner for a double, scoring Wabick. Tejada would later score on an Emmanuel Garcia groundout, cutting the lead to 8-2.
The B-Mets scored their final run in the sixth. Ike Davis doubled to lead off the frame and was brought home on Lucas Duda's one-out RBI single to right-center, making it 8-3.
Tomlin went a season-high seven innings allowing three runs on six hits for his team-leading eighth win.
Holt was charged with five earned runs on three hits in a third of an inning for his first AA loss.
Davis was the only B-Mets' player with two hits, as he doubled twice, scoring once.
Eastern League Stories from June 27, 2009
- Matusz, Deza Double Up Altoona - Bowie Baysox
- Trenton splits DH - Trenton Thunder
- Big Blasts Lead to 8-3 Akron Victory - Akron RubberDucks
- Gonzalez, Cooper strong in return from DL in 3-1 loss - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Holt's Return is Short, B-Mets Upended 8-3 by Aeros - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Mills dazzles in Portland's 3-1 win over Cats! - Portland Sea Dogs
- Curve fall in game two - Altoona Curve
- Defenders Win 3-0 - Connecticut Defenders
- Defenders shutout Rock Cats - New Britain Rock Cats
- Bowie takes game one of DH - Altoona Curve
- Aeros Game Notes for June 27 - Akron RubberDucks
- Curve Game Notes for June 27 - Altoona Curve
- Sea Dogs Game Notes for June 27 - Portland Sea Dogs
- RHP Johnson signed by Yankees, added to Thunder roster - Trenton Thunder
- Chico joins Sens on MLB rehab - Harrisburg Senators
- Senators Game Notes for June 27 - Harrisburg Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.