Hitmen Topped in Shootout
Red Deer, AB - Kristian Reichel scored the lone goal of the shootout to lift the Red Deer Rebels past the Calgary Hitmen by a score of 3-2 on Wednesday night at the ENMAX Centrium.
Mason McCarty and Chris Douglas counted goals in regulation for the Rebels who improve to 6-0-2 in their last eight games.
Conner Chaulk and Tristen Nielsen, both with their 11th goals of the season, replied for the Hitmen. Nielsen's goal, shorthanded with 4:57 left in the second period, forced overtime.
Goaltenders Nick Schneider for Calgary and the Rebels Ethan Anders turned in strong performances. Schneider was the first star making 38 saves while Anders was named the third star after recording 29 stops.
Calgary, 1-0-0-1 in their last two games, wraps up their road trip on Friday, Feb. 9 in Medicine Hat. The Hitmen will then return home to the Scotiabank Saddledome for a rematch with the Tigers on Sunday, Feb. 11. It's a 2:00 p.m. start for the Co-op Family Game. There will be face painters, concourse activities, lots of giveaways and a post-game family skate that is FREE with a game ticket. The contest also features a specially priced $8.99 ticket (plus applicable fees) for kids 12 and under.
Sunday is the start of a season-high seven-game home stand for the Hitmen. Aside from a visit from the Tigers, Calgary will also host Tri-City (Feb. 14), Saskatoon (Feb. 18), Red Deer (Feb. 21), Edmonton (Feb. 23), Brandon (Feb. 25) and Swift Current (Feb. 27).
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 7, 2018
- Hitmen Topped in Shootout - Calgary Hitmen
- Stallard's Late Goal Gives Raiders Win Over ICE - Prince Albert Raiders
- Silvertips Crack CHL Top 10 Following Big Week - WHL
- Royals Host Rockets for Two-Game Set this Weekend - Victoria Royals
- Registration Now Open for the 2018 Hockey Alberta/WHL Skills Camp - WHL
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Wednesday, February 7 at Red Deer - Calgary Hitmen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.