Hernandez Homers for Win
CLEARWATER - Jan Hernandez hit a two-run walk-off homer to beat Daytona (39-60, 6-28), 4-2, Thursday night in Clearwater. It was Clearwater's sixth walk-off victory of the year and the 14th home run for Hernandez, most in the league among active players.
RHP Jonathan Crawford got the ball for Daytona and took a no-hitter to the sixth. He faced the minimum through the first five innings, allowing just a walk. The no-hitter was lost when Jose Pujols doubled to center to open the sixth. The shutout was then lost a batter later when Austin Bossart doubled home Pujols. Crawford would later walk in a run and turn it over the bullpen after five plus innings.
Daytona would respond, trailing 2-1, in the top of the seventh. Reydel Medina ripped a two-out triple to center to score Daniel Sweet from first base to tie the game. However, Medina tried to make it a round tripper and was thrown out at the plate by more than 10 feet on a throw from Carlos Duran . The Tortugas settled for a tie at stretch time.
The game would remian tied until the bottom of the ninth. RHP Ryan Hendrix issued a one out walk before Hernandez belted a home run to left field for the win.
Daytona's inital run scored on a James Vasquez double to right field in the third inning.
RHP Trevor Bettencourt (1-0) earned the win in relief for two scoreless frames. Hendrix (0-2) allowed the home run in 1 1/3 innings out of the bullpen.
Crawford turned in his best start of the year, but did not factor in the decision. He allowed two runs and three hits in five plus innings, striking out five. He threw a pitch in the sixth inning for the second time this year.
The series concludes Friday in Clearwater. RHP Wyatt Strahan will get the ball for Daytona in hopes of his first win. First pitch is scheduled for 6:15 PM with The Metcare Pregame Show beginning at 6:05 PM on AM 1230 and AM 1490 WSBB.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from July 30, 2017
- Blue Jays Rally with Six-Run Eighth Inning - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Early Runs Help Stone Crabs Cruise to 7-1 Win - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Hernandez Homers for Win - Daytona Tortugas
- Seven-Run 7th Leads T-Yanks to 9th-Straight - Tampa Yankees
- Hernandez Powers Threshers to Walkoff Win - Clearwater Threshers
- Del Rosario Dazzles as Offense Lifts off in big Win - Fort Myers Miracle
- Yankees Beat Cardinals for 8th-Straight Win - Tampa Yankees
- Marauders Beat Mets on Game-Ending Diving Catch - St. Lucie Mets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.