Hechavarria Goes 3-For-5 with 2 RBI in Loss to Baysox
(Bowie, MD)-Adeiny Hechavarria fell a home run short of a cycle, going 3-for-5 with two RBI and Yan Gomes homered in the ninth inning, but the Fisher Cats dropped the finale of the six-game roadtrip 5-3 on Sunday night in Bowie.
The Baysox (63-51) opened the scoring in the bottom of the second inning. Buck Britton led off with a walk and catcher Caleb Joseph followed with a double to plate Britton for a 1-0 lead.
New Hampshire (63-51) finally broke through against Bowie starter Mike Ballard in the top of the fifth inning. John Tolisano reached on a strikeout and wild pitch and Jonathan Diaz walked. Hechavarria doubled over the head of left fielder L. J. Hoes and both Tolisano and Diaz scored to make it 2-1 Fisher Cats.
Bowie came right back to take the lead in the bottom of the fifth inning. Deck McGuire issued back-to-back two-out walks to Greg Miclat and L. J. Hoes and both scored on a double by Joe Mahoney to give the Baysox a 3-2 lead.
Bowie added a run in the bottom of the fifth inning. Designated hitter Steve Lerud hit the right field foul pole for his 5th homer and a 4-2 lead.
McGuire (2-1) left after 5.2 innings in which he allowed four runs on five hits. He walked four and struck out eight.
The Baysox extended the lead to 5-2 in the bottom of the seventh inning. Miclat singled and stole second (he stole four bases in the game). He moved to third on a groundout and scored on a sacrifice fly by Mahoney.
Yan Gomes homered to lead off the top of the ninth inning, but Eddie Gamboa recorded the next three outs for his third save.
Mike Ballard (7-1) won for Bowie. He worked seven innings, allowing six hits and two runs. He walked one and struck out nine.
The Fisher Cats return to Northeast Delta Dental Stadium on Tuesday, August 9 to play the Erie SeaWolves (Detroit AA) at 7:05pm. It will be Summer Reading Nightpresented by TD Bank. It's also a Kraft Singles Tuesday. You can buy one ticket and get one free by bringing a a Kraft Singles wrapper to the box office. The Fisher Cats have also announced that playoff tickets will be put on sale on Monday, August 8. For Fisher Cats tickets, visit www.nhfishercats.com or call (603) 641-2005.
Eastern League Stories from August 7, 2011
- Miclat Steals Past Fisher Cats - Bowie Baysox
- B-Mets Answer Bell in Rubber Match, 7-4 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Hechavarria Goes 3-For-5 with 2 RBI in Loss to Baysox - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Picart Blasts Altoona to Series Victory Against Trenton - Altoona Curve
- Late Homerun Sends Thunder to Series Loss - Trenton Thunder
- Wilson Deals Sea Dogs Past Flying Squirrels, 7-2 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Sea Dogs Avoid Sweep Attempt, Claim Finale, 7-2 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Aeros Erupt For 10 Runs, Take Rubber Match From Rock Cats - Akron RubberDucks
- 'Wolves Drop Finale to Senators - Erie SeaWolves
- Richmond Flying Squirrels Game Notes - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Portland Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.