Guard Earns NBA D-League Season's 23rd Gatorade Call-Up
NEW YORK, April 9, 2009 - The Chicago Bulls today signed DeMarcus Nelson of the Austin Toros making him the 23rd GATORADE Call-Up of the 2008-09 NBA Development League season. Nelson joins 78 other NBA players with NBA D-League experience.
Nelson, a 6-4 guard from Duke, has appeared in 11 games, 10 starts, since joining the Toros on March 10, 2009 and is averaging 23.0 points, 5.9 rebounds and 4.2 assists in 41.4 minutes.
Undrafted in the 2008 NBA Draft, Nelson began the 2008-09 NBA season with the Golden State Warriors, who acquired him on Sept. 9, 2008 following a stint with the team during the summer of 2008 at both the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas and the Rocky Mountain Revue in Salt Lake City. Nelson ultimately appeared in 13 games, five starts, for Golden State and averaged 4.1 points, 1.8 rebounds and 1.0 assist in 13.2 minutes before being waived.
During his time with Golden State Nelson was assigned to the team's NBA D-League affiliate Bakersfield Jam where he played nine games, all starts, and averaged 16.0 points, 4.7 rebounds and 4.0 assists in 32.7 minutes.
A four-year contributor at Duke, Nelson was named the ACC Defensive Player of the Year during his senior season when he averaged 14.5 points, 5.8 rebounds and 2.9 assists, starting in all 34 games for the Blue Devils.
Nelson is expected to join Chicago tonight.
The NBA Development League, founded in 2001, is the NBA's official minor league and features 16 teams with direct affiliations to NBA teams for the 2008-09 season. An expansion team will begin play in Portland, Maine for the 2009-10 season. Sixty former NBA Development League players were on 2008-09 NBA start-of-season rosters, and the league continues to develop current NBA coaches and referees. In fostering the league's connection to the community, its teams, players and staff promote youth basketball, support local needs and interests, and assist in educational development through NBA D-League Cares programs. The NBA D-League also advances the game of basketball as the research and development arm of the NBA. Throughout this season fans can watch all NBA D-League games on NBA Futurecast, the free live Web-streaming initiative found at nba.com/futurecast.
NBA G League Stories from April 9, 2009
- Energy take control of central - Iowa Wolves
- Los Angeles Overpowers Reno in Season Finale - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Guard Earns NBA D-League Season's 23rd Gatorade Call-Up - Austin Spurs
- Thunderbirds Guard Will Conroy Receives 2008-09 Jason Collier Sportsmanship Award - G League
- April 10, 2009 Proclaimed Randy Livingston Day In Boise - Idaho Stampede
- Bank Of The Cascades And The Idaho Stampede Help Make A Wish - Idaho Stampede
- Skyforce to Host Jr. NBA/Jr. WNBA Skills Challenge Regional Competition - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Albuquerque's Mouhamed Sene Signs With New York Knicks - G League
- Rio Grande Valley's Jawad Williams Signs With Cleveland - G League
- NBA D-League Daily Developments - G League
- Nelson Leads Toros To Close Win Over Vipers 106-105 - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.