Grizzlies Home Friday, Saturday After Finishing Road Stretch Strong
Friday, November 23: Alaska at Utah, 7 p.m.; 1320 KFAN (6:30 p.m. pre-game)
Saturday, November 24: Alaska at Utah, 7 p.m.; 1320 KFAN (6:30 p.m. pre-game)
The Grizzlies snapped a six-game losing streak Saturday, by taking three of four standings points to finish the weekend. They beat San Francisco 5-3 Saturday and fell 4-3 in a shootout Sunday at the Cow Palace.
Bryan Cameron has a nine-game scoring streak with six goals and nine assists in that stretch. He has three three-point nights during the scoring streak and has scored a goal in a Utah season-high four-straight games. Cameron's eight-game assist streak, one shy of the all-time team record of nine, was snapped Sunday in California. He leads Utah with six goals and 11 assists for 17 points in 14 games.
Leadership Steps Up, Utah 1-0-0-1 Under New Guard
Prior to Saturday's game, Kevin Colley named Riley Armstrong the team's captain for road games and Brad Mills the team's captain for home games. Armstrong responded with two goals and two assists during the weekend's final two games and all four of his points came on the power-play. In addition, third-year pro and 22-year-old Mitch Wahl was named an assistant captain. Wahl, under an NHL contract with Calgary, had one assist Saturday and one goal and two assists Sunday. Mills, who has played in the NHL each of the last two years, joined Colley on the bench in a suit for both games and is listed as day-to-day.
While the Grizzlies have struggled in November due to injuries and a brutal road schedule, the team only played one home game during the rough stretch and now returns home for 12 of their next 16 games.
The Training Room Waiting Room
For the second-straight season, the Grizzlies have undergone a ridiculous amount of early season injuries. Starting goaltender Andrew Engelage and the team's leading scorer the last two seasons in Paul McIlveen headlined the Utah group that didn't travel to California this weekend. In addition, veteran Tommy Maxwell and Colin Vock also didn't travel. Brad Mills, Ryan Watson and Trevor Glass suffered injuries on the trip and forced Utah down to 13 skaters as the game concluded Sunday in San Francisco.
The Grizzlies earned three of four points in San Francisco with great special teams play. Utah went four-for-nine on the power-play over the two-game stretch, while also going 11-11 on the penalty-kill. Utah has scored two power-play goals in five of their last six games and has scored a power-play goal in nine-straight games, which ties a team record since they joined the ECHL in 2005. Utah also scored a power-play goal in nine-straight games March 12-24, 2010.
The Grizzlies are back home Friday and Saturday when they will host the Alaska Aces at 7 p.m. each night. Friday, the first 500 fans lined up at 10 a.m. will be able to purchase $5 tickets at the Maverik Center box office. In addition, Friday is the team's Teddy Bear Toss, where fans are invited to toss teddy bears onto the ice for children in need after Utah's first goal. Saturday is a free post-game skate, skate rental is $2.
ECHL Stories from November 19, 2012
- Condors in the Community: Condors Kick off Season of Giving - Bakersfield Condors
- Radio Recon May Need to Get the Booster Seat for this One - Reading Royals
- Titans Adjust Roster with Help from AHL Affiliate Adirondack - Trenton Titans
- Condors Weekly: Teddy Bear Toss Week Begins - Bakersfield Condors
- Thunder blitzes through week at 3-1-0 to seize top win percentage in ECHL - Stockton Thunder
- Solar Bears Get Two Back from Aeros - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - November 19 - ECHL
- Teddy Bear Toss this Saturday with $1 Hot Dogs/Half Price Beer - Bakersfield Condors
- Grizzlies Home Friday, Saturday After Finishing Road Stretch Strong - Utah Grizzlies
- Gladiators Weekly Update - Atlanta Gladiators
- Wranglers Play Solar Bears, Toss Teddy Bears on December 1 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Cyclones Weekly - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Greenville Road Warriors Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Reign Dedicate Night to Season Ticket Holder Phil Merriam - Ontario Reign
- Elmira Jackals Weekly - Elmira Jackals
- November 28 Is Warrior Appreciation Night - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Royals tie club record with nine straight wins - ECHL
- Bulls Win 2 of 3 At Home in Dramatic Fashion - San Francisco Bulls
- Stingrays Weekly: Stingrays Celebrate Thanksgiving with Royals and Jackals - South Carolina Stingrays
- Colorado Eagles Weekly Update - Colorado Eagles
- Toledo Walleye Weekly - Toledo Walleye
- K-Wings Weekly - Kalamazoo Wings
- Komets Host Wings for Thanksgiving; Kalamazoo Here Thursday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Voting Begins in ECHL's 25th FAN-niversary Contest - ECHL
- Florida Everblades Weekly Recap - Florida Everblades
- IceMen Weekly - Evansville IceMen
- IceMen Weekly Notes - Evansville IceMen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.