Griffins Send Four to Toledo, Sign Jeff Hoggan
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - The Detroit Red Wings on Tuesday reassigned goaltender Petr Mrazek (M'RAHZ-ihk) and forwards Willie Coetzee (KOHT-zee) and Andrej Nestrasil (ahn-DRAY NEHS-tra-shihl) to the ECHL's Toledo Walleye from the Grand Rapids Griffins. Additionally, the Griffins assigned forward Luke Glendening to the Walleye and signed forward Jeff Hoggan (HOH-guhn) to a professional tryout.
Mrazek, 20, played in 50 games for the OHL's Ottawa 67s in 2011-12, sporting a 30-13-6 record, a 2.84 goals against average and three shutouts. The Ostrava, Czech Republic, native also helped his club to the Eastern Conference finals, posting a 9-8 record with a 2.59 goals against average in 17 postseason contests.
Born in Johannesburg, South Africa, Coetzee suited up in 61 games for the Griffins last season, recording 22 points (11-11-22) and 25 penalty minutes. The 21-year-old right wing has logged 47 points (20-27-47) in 124 professional contests between Grand Rapids and Toledo since 2010
Nestrasil, 21, split his first professional season between the Walleye and Griffins in 2011-12. The Prague, Czech Republic, native tallied 29 points (7-22-29) in 51 ECHL games and four points (3-1-4) in 25 AHL contests.
The first-ever Greater Grand Rapids native to sign with the Griffins, Glendening begins his first professional season after wrapping up his collegiate career with the University of Michigan. The 23-year-old forward co-captained the Wolverines in his final two seasons and finished his four-year career with 70 points (31-39-70) in 165 games.
Hoggan, 34, will start the season with the Griffins after attending training camp on a tryout. The Hope, British Columbia, native has played 412 career AHL games with Houston, Worcester, Providence and San Antonio, registering 211 points (111-100-211). Hoggan, who has also logged 102 NHL games and 11 points (2-9-11) for St. Louis, Boston and Phoenix, spent the past two seasons with Wolfsburg Grizzly Adams and the Hannover Scorpions in the DEL (Germany), recording 49 points (25-24-49) in 81 games.
The Griffins' season-opening roster can be viewed here. The club will open the 2012-13 regular season with back-to-back home games on Friday versus the Milwaukee Admirals and Saturday versus the Hamilton Bulldogs. Both games are set to start at 7 p.m. Tickets are available at griffinshockey.com.
American Hockey League Stories from October 9, 2012
- Barons Unveil 3rd Jersey - Oklahoma City Barons
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Brett Olson Signed - Abbotsford Heat
- Whale Weekly - Connecticut Whale
- Griffins Send Four to Toledo, Sign Jeff Hoggan - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Chillin' with the Penguins Returns for Second Season - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Albany Devils Weekly - Albany Devils
- AHL Announces Suspension - AHL
- Monarchs Announce Transaction - Manchester Monarchs
- Falcons Weekly Notes - Springfield Falcons
- Falcons Assign Moon, Vogelhuber to ECHL - Springfield Falcons
- Amerks to Once Again Offer Select "$5 Parking Nights" for Civic Center Garage - Rochester Americans
- Heat Announce Post Game Concert - Abbotsford Heat
- Roster Reduced to 28 - Abbotsford Heat
- Whale Announce Roster Changes - Connecticut Whale
- Checkers Host Admirals at PNC Arena on January 6 - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch to Host Voter Registration Drive at Fan Convention - Syracuse Crunch
- Phantoms Weekly - Hockey Is Back - Adirondack Phantoms
- Barons and Police Athletic League Bringing Hockey to Area Youth - Oklahoma City Barons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.