Griffins Score Three Early, Win 5-2
MILWAUKEE - Three goals late in the first period gave the Grand Rapids Griffins a commanding lead. The Milwaukee Admirals never got closer than two as the road team skated away with a 5-2 victory at UW-Milwaukee Panther Arena on Friday.
Corey Elkins lit the lamp up first with 4:36 left in the first period. His seventh goal of the season came from the top of the left circle after forcing a turnover in the Milwaukee zone. The shorthanded tally was assisted by Matthew Ford. A minute later, Eric Tangradi added on to the lead with his 14th goal. The left winger deflected the puck into the net off of a Vili Saarijarvi shot that slid past Anders Lindback's left leg for the 2-0 lead.
Before the intermission break, Joe Hicketts tallied his second goal of the year with just 11 seconds left on the clock. The power play strike was taken from just inside the blue line with a slap shot to give the Griffins a three-goal cushion. The Admirals struck first in the second frame with a shorthanded notch from Justin Kirkland at the 9:33 mark. The Winnipeg native had a 2-on-1 advantage with Mark Zengerle who made the last second pass to Kirkland which sent a laser over Tom McCollum's glove to make it 3-1. Just 49 seconds later, Grand Rapids regained its three-goal lead when Ford added his team-leading 16th goal of the season. The power play goal was deflected over Lindback's glove after Evgeny Svechnikov took a slap shot near the blue line.
The flurry of goals continued 1:37 later when Anthony Richard netted his 11th goal of the campaign. McCollum stopped the initial shot which was taken by Jack Dougherty, but there was a scramble in front of the net. Richard got to the puck first and sent it flying into the net to make the score 4-2. Grand Rapids added an insurance goal with 13 seconds left in the stanza as Tangradi potted his second goal of the night. He finessed his way through two defenders and skated towards the net. A quick move later, he took a backhand shot that sent the puck between Lindback's legs for the final three-goal lead.
Tom McCollum pushed aside 29 shots for his sixth win of the season while Anders Lindback stopped 24 pucks in a losing effort.
Grand Rapids went 2-for-2 on the power play and held Milwaukee scoreless in its four tries.
Three Stars: 1. GR McCollum (W, 29 saves); 2. GR Tangradi (two goals); 3. MIL Kirkland (goal).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 22, 2018
- Taylor and Tiffels Reassigned to Penguins from Nailers - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets Sign Adam Comrie to AHL Contract - Utica Comets
- Winnipeg Jets RECALL LEMIEUX FROM THE MOOSE - Manitoba Moose
- McINTYRE NAMED CCM/AHL PLAYER OF THE WEEK - Providence Bruins
- Providence's Zane McIntyre Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- BLUE JACKETS TRADE DEFENSEMAN JOHN RAMAGE TO ARIZONA COYOTES - Cleveland Monsters
- Wolf Pack Release Chris Langkow from PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- 'CANES ASSIGN McKEOWN TO CHARLOTTE - Charlotte Checkers
- D Travis Sanheim Loaned to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- WOLF PACK GAME RECAP - Hartford Wolf Pack 1, - Hartford Wolf Pack
- PENGUINS FALL IN OVERTIME TO WOLF PACK, 1-0 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolves Set Franchise Record with 10th Consecutive Home Win - Chicago Wolves
- FORSLING ASSIGNED TO ICEHOGS - Rockford IceHogs
- MONSTERS FALL IN CHICAGO, 3-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- P-BRUINS WIN 2-0 BEHIND McINTYRE's SECOND SHUTOUT - Providence Bruins
- Amerks Erase Three-Goal Deficit, Fall in Overtime to Checkers - Rochester Americans
- TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING RECALL MATTHEW PECA, MICHAEL BOURNIVAL FROM SYRACUSE CRUNCH - Syracuse Crunch
- Red Wings Recall Joe Hicketts - Grand Rapids Griffins
- HOGS FIGHT BACK BUT COME UP SHORT AGAINST GRIFFINS. - Rockford IceHogs
- PIRRI, TYNAN HELP WOLVES BASTE BAKERSFIELD - Chicago Wolves
- Griffins Knock Down IceHogs, 4-3 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Manitoba Moose Recap: Texas 5 at Manitoba 1 - Manitoba Moose
- San Antonio Falls to Tucson in Overtime 2-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Win Under the Stars in Outdoor Classic - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Iowa Moves into Second Place with 5-3 Win against Milwaukee - Iowa Wild
- Gust Scores in Condors Loss - Bakersfield Condors
- COMETS TOP LINE PROPELS UTICA TO VICTORY. - Utica Comets
- Sound Tigers 3, Bruins 2. - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Amerks Speed by Checkers with 4-1 Win. - Rochester Americans
- P-Bruins Come up Short in Bridgeport, Fall to Sound Tigers 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- CRUNCH FALL TO COMETS, 4-2. - Syracuse Crunch
- HURRICANES RECALL McKEOWN FROM CHARLOTTE - Charlotte Checkers
- Manitoba Moose Moose Announce Roster Moves - Manitoba Moose
- Goaltender Brandon Halverson, Defenseman Sergey - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Blue Jackets Recall Markus Hannikainen, Dean - Cleveland Monsters
- Defenseman Anton Cederholm Reassigned to Kalamazoo - Utica Comets
- San Diego 2 vs. San Jose 3 - San Diego Gulls
- Griffins Score Three Early, Win 5-2 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Iowa Falls to Bakersfield 4-3 in Overtime - Iowa Wild
- Recap: Texas 4 at Manitoba 0. - Manitoba Moose
- San Antonio Earns Point Behind Ville Husso's 53 Saves in 2-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- Hogs Drop Monsters with Three-Goal Third - Rockford IceHogs
- Bear Wins It in Overtime for Condors, 4-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- GAME RECAP - Hartford Wolf Pack 3, Utica Comets 2 (OT) - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Crunch Lose to Marlies, 4-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Late Goal by Cross Gives P-Bruins 1-0 Win over Penguins - Providence Bruins
- Monsters Clipped by IceHogs on Home Ice, 4-3 - Cleveland Monsters
- RECAP: Penguins' Win Streak Halted in 1-0 Loss at Providence - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets Comeback Falls Short in Overtime - Utica Comets
- IceHogs to Host Outdoor Practice in Belvidere on January 24 - Rockford IceHogs
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Forward Kyle Rau from Iowa - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.