Gotay Homers, Aces Fall 6-1
FRESNO, Calif.-Ruben Gotay gave Reno an early lead with a solo home run in the first inning, but that was all the offense the Aces would get on Sunday, as the Fresno Grizzlies downed Reno, 6-1, at Chukchansi Park.
Gotay's blast, his seventh of the season, put Reno in the driver's seat early. But the advantage would be short-lived, as the Grizzlies would answer with a run of their own in the first. The game remained deadlocked at 1-1 until the sixth when Fresno pushed across two runs on a pair of RBI singles. Fresno added three insurance runs in the eighth to cruise to the victory and take a 2-1 advantage in the series.
Billy Buckner (5-3) gave Reno a quality start on Sunday night, but ultimately took the loss. Buckner allowed three runs on five hits over seven innings of work. Buckner walked four and punched out five. Out of the Aces bullpen, Tom Gordon was responsible for three runs scored in one-third of an inning before Jason Urquidez came on to record the final two outs in the eighth.
Sunday's win went to Fresno starter Matt Kinney (6-9), who allowed just a run on six hits over six innings of work. Steve Edlefsen recorded the game's final six outs to earn the save, his first.
At the plate for Reno, Gotay added two walks to his first-inning solo homer. Trent Oeltjen followed-up back-to-back three hit nights with a 2-for-5 day at the plate. Rusty Ryal doubled twice and Brandon Allen extended his hitting streak to a season-best 11 games.
Reno finished 0-for-8 with runners in scoring position and stranded 12 men on base.
The series comes to a close on Monday night from Chukchansi Park. RHP Tony Barnette (7-7, 6.62 ERA) gets the nod for the Aces, while the Grizzlies will counter with LHP Steve Hammond (7-8, 5.43 ERA). First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m. PT.
Reno returns home on July 28 for an eight-game homestand. For tickets, stop by the Aces Ballpark Box Office, call (775) 334-7000 or visit www.RenoAces.com.
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 26, 2009
- Gotay Homers, Aces Fall 6-1 - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Clip I-Cubs 4-2 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Z's Snap Skid, Win 9-4 - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Salt Lake Collects 28 Hits While Holding Beavers to Just 12 - Portland Beavers
- RedHawks Blast Sounds, 11-1 - Nashville Sounds
- Sox Double-Header Postponed - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- RedHawks Game Notes for July 26 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Francis Cabrera joins Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Sox Fall Short in Extra Innings to River Cats - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Escobar's Five-Hit Effort Leads Sounds To 8-5 Win - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.