Gorneault, Lerew Are Player, Pitcher Of The Week
August 16, 2010 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) News Release
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Salt Lake outfielder Nick Gorneault and Omaha pitcher Anthony Lerew have been awarded the Pacific Coast League's Player and Pitcher of the Week for August 9-15, the league announced Monday.
Gorneault, 31, batted .435 (10-for-22) with three home runs, three doubles and 10 runs batted in during the week, helping the Bees overtake Tacoma in the Pacific Northern Division. The veteran outfielder finished the week with a flourish, going 8-for-12 with three homers and nine RBI in three weekend games, boosting his batting average from .196 to .221 in the process.
The 6-foot-3, 220-pound right-handed hitter is no stranger to the Pacific Coast League, having played for Salt Lake in parts of five seasons dating back to 2004. His top offensive year was in 2005, when he belted 26 home runs, drove in 108 and scored 106 times for the Bees. This is Gorneault's second-career Player of the Week honor, after winning the award for the final week of the 2005 season.
Lerew, a 6-foot-4 right-hander, earns his first-career PCL Pitcher of the Week honor following two stellar starts for the red-hot O-Royals. He picked up the victory with eight innings of one-run baseball at home against Tacoma on August 9, then improved on that performance with eight shutout frames at Sacramento on August 15. For the week, the 27-year-old went 2-0 with a 0.56 ERA in two starts, striking out 13 batters and walking three in 16 innings pitched.
A former Atlanta Braves farmhand, Lerew was acquired by the Royals organization prior to the 2009 campaign, his first full season following successful Tommy John surgery. This year he has split time between Triple-A and the Majors, going 7-3 with a 3.01 ERA in Omaha and 1-4 with an 8.54 ERA for Kansas City.
Lerew's award is the fourth in five weeks for the Omaha Royals' pitching staff, which has led the club to within 2.5 games of first place in the American Northern Division. Lerew joins Gaby Hernandez, Greg Holland and Philip Humber as PCL Pitcher of the Week winners, while staff ace Bryan Bullington (currently up in Kansas City) leads the league with a 2.82 ERA.
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 16, 2010
- Redbirds Outlast Sky Sox in 16 - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Avoid Sweep, Win 7-6 on Monday - Nashville Sounds
- Aces-Zephyrs Series Finale Washed Out - Reno Aces
- Z's and Aces Finale Postponned Due to Rain - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Sellers Helps Isotopes Earn Split in Portland - Portland Beavers
- Gorneault, Lerew Are Player, Pitcher Of The Week - PCL
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Lerew Named PCL Pitcher of the Week - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Gorneault Named PCL Player of the Week - Salt Lake Bees
- Miller Named Rangers Senior Vice President - Round Rock Express
- 'Topes Regular Season Ends with Monster Homestand - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Royals Final Home Stand to Send Rosenblatt out in Style - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Carp, Rainiers Swim Past Express 8-5 - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.