Gomes Leads Las Vegas Past Tribe 5-3
BRADENTON, Fla. -- Las Vegas catcher Yan Gomes fell a home run short of the cycle and scored the game-winning run in the seventh inning to lead the 51's past the Indianapolis Indians 5-3 on Thursday, March 24 at Pirate City in Bradenton, Fla.
Gomes (3-for-4, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 3B, 2 RBI), who drove in a run with a single in the fourth frame and had a run-scoring triple in the ninth, doubled in the seventh and later scored on OF Darin Mastroianni's (2-for-3, 1 BB, 1 RBI) RBI single for the eventual game-winning run.
After the Tribe took their first and only lead of the contest in the opening frame when INF Chase d'Arnaud (1-for-4, 1 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI) homered, Las Vegas countered with a home run by OF Brett Lawrie and RBI singles by OF Adam Calderone and Gomes in the fourth . After Gomes scored in the top of the seventh to push the Las Vegas lead to three, the Indians charged back with two runs in the bottom half of the frame thanks to OF Alex Presley's (1-for-3, 1 BB, 1 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI) inside-the-park home run and INF Christian Colonel's (1-for-3, 1 2B, 1 RBI) RBI double.
Las Vegas LHP Brad Mills (5.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 K) earned the victory after allowing just three hits in five innings, while RHP Ronald Uviedo gave up only a walk in the ninth for the save. Indians LHP Justin Wilson (4.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 0 K) allowed three runs in four innings and was stuck with the loss.
International League Stories from March 24, 2011
- Triple-A Phils Fall to Yanks, 7-2 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Gomes Leads Las Vegas Past Tribe 5-3 - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Top Redbirds, 2-1: Opening Day Is in 2 Weeks - Buffalo Bisons
- Pat Egan Returns to Norfolk - Norfolk Tides
- Red Wings Defeat Pawtucket 6-4 - Rochester Red Wings
- Matin Named Chairman of BIRCO Board of Directors - IL
- Norman Rockwell "On Deck" for Louisville Slugger Museum & Factory - IL
- Red Wings Announce 2011 Red Wings Hall of Fame Inductees - Rochester Red Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.