Goalies Shine as Texas Edges Houston 2-1
Houston, TX - The Houston Aeros (17-11-2-3, 39 points) were defeated by the Texas Stars (17-11-3-2, 39 points) 2-1 on Friday night in front of 5,576 fans at Toyota Center. Texas forward Alex Chiasson scored late in the second period and goalie Christopher Nilstorp (13-10-0) took care of the rest, stopping 25 of 26 Houston shots for the win. Despite 29 saves on 31 shots, Houston goalie Matt Hackett (13-9-4) suffered the defeat. Aeros defenseman Chay Genoway scored the team's lone goal, as Houston saw its five-game winning streak at home come to an end. Houston will host in-state rival San Antonio at 7:05 p.m. on Saturday night at Toyota Center.
Texas claimed a 1-0 lead at 5:36 of the first period off Jordie Benn's fifth goal of the season. Stars winger Scott Glennie found Benn at the left point in the Houston zone. The Texas defender fired a shot to the Aeros net that feathered through traffic and past Matt Hackett for the only goal of the opening period.
Houston pulled even with Texas 1:48 into the second period, compliments of a power-play goal by defenseman Chay Genoway. Forwards Mikael Granlund and Jason Zucker helped work the puck to the point. Genoway rifled a slapshot from the point, beating goalie Christopher Nilstorp for his fourth goal of the season and a 1-1 game. Texas regained its lead at 13:07 of the middle frame. Forward Alex Chiasson tapped in a centering feed from Cody Eakin for the 2-1 lead. Forward Reilly Smith added an assist on the power-play goal by Chiasson, his sixth of the season.
The Aeros conclude a three-game home stand with San Antonio at 7:05 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 5. The first 2,000 youths to the game receive an Aeros youth jersey, compliments of Belknap Plumbing and Bellknap Concrete. The Aeros round out the weekend with a 5 p.m. faceoff on Sunday, Jan. 6 at Texas. Houston will return home on Saturday, Jan. 12 and Sunday, Jan 13. The Aeros host the Lake Erie Monsters at 7:05 p.m. on Jan. 12 and the Charlotte Checkers at 5:05 p.m. on Jan. 13.
The Aeros will host a book drive, which begins on Saturday, Jan. 12 and concludes after the game on Sunday, Jan. 13. For every book that is donated, the Aeros will reward the donor with two tickets to a select home game (limit - five books per person). Fans may donate their books on the concourse by section 107. All the donated books will be collected and delivered to the Texas Children's Hospital, assisting the "It's My Heart" program. Any books (new or gently used) are accepted, but fans are encouraged to donate children's books. For more information, please contact Alicia Kouri of the Houston Aeros - email@example.com.
Aeros season tickets start as low as $9 per seat and may be purchased online at Aeros.com by placing a $100 deposit. Once your order is processed, an Aeros ticket representative will contact you to choose your exact seat location, as well as discuss the payment options. Information on season tickets and mini-plans is also available on the team website at www.aeros.com. Groups of 15 or more receive a discount on all tickets, to book your group outing to an Aeros game please call 713-974-PUCK (7825).
American Hockey League Stories from January 4, 2013
- Rampage Stomp Peoria, 3-0 - San Antonio Rampage
- Markstrom Hand Rivermen 3-0 Loss - Peoria Rivermen
- Five-Goal Second Lifts Griffins Past Barons - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Falcons Hold Off Sound Tigers, Increase Division Lead - Springfield Falcons
- Bulldogs win 3-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Dogs Knock off Hogs 3-1 - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Shut out by Crunch - Norfolk Admirals
- Goalies Shine as Texas Edges Houston 2-1 - Houston Aeros
- Whale beats Adirondack - Connecticut Whale
- Stars Clamp Down on Aeros 2-1 - Texas Stars
- Home Win Streak Ends with Shutout Loss - Cleveland Monsters
- Crunch Shut out Admirals 3-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Snap Skid in Lake Erie - Charlotte Checkers
- B-Sens Celebrate 40 Years with a 3-1 Win over Penguins - Binghamton Senators
- Phantoms Sunk at Whale - Adirondack Phantoms
- Penguins Turned Back by Senators - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Lok'D in Win - Manchester Monarchs
- P-Bruins Sink Pirates Behind Whitfield Game-Winner - Providence Bruins
- Sound Tigers Fall to Falcons 5-4 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- IceCaps Outlasted by Monarchs - St. John's IceCaps
- Allstate Insurance to Offer Policy Reviews at Upcoming Syracuse Crunch Games - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Make Roster Moves - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Albany Devils, Albany Fire Department Hold Auction for Ronald McDonald House - Albany Devils
- McKelvie to Take Part in Fitness Challenge for Charity - Abbotsford Heat
- This Fall: AHL to Celebrate 25 Years in Glens Falls - Adirondack Phantoms
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield Vs. Bridgeport, Game #31 - Springfield Falcons
- Admirals Cage Wolves, 4-3 - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.