Gnats Split Doubleheader with Jackets
Augusta, GA - The Savannah Sand Gnats split a doubleheader, representing games two and three of the four-game series with the Augusta GreenJackets Sunday afternoon. The teams were washed out of Friday and Saturday's match ups. The Gnats (26-25) started off with a game one victory, 2-1. Savannah scored both of their runs in their top of the first inning thanks to CF Brandon Nimmo's RBI single and a sacrifice fly by C Nelfi Zapata.
The GreenJackets (33-21) cut the lead to 2-1 in the bottom of the fourth on C Eliezer Zambrano's sacrifice fly.
Gnats' reliever, Tim Peterson started his first game of the season and looked strong. Peterson allowed one run on four hits through three and a third innings. He gave way to reliever Estarlin Morel (2-1) who recorded two scoreless innings and his first win with the Sand Gnats. Beck Wheeler picked up his sixteenth save of the year.
Game two contained some more offensive firepower. The Gnats' rally fell short as Augusta took game two 7-6. The Jackets knocked in two runs against Gnats' starter Steven Matz in the bottom of the first. Augusta would then chase Gnats' starter Matz in the fifth and add on five more runs. The Jackets only needed three hits to score five runs against Matz and reliever Tyler Vanderheiden,
Savannah would answer Augusta with five runs of their own in the top of the sixth with Maikis De La Cruz's two-run double being the big blow. That was Cruz's seventeenth double of the year. The Gnat's valiant comeback would fall short as they only plated one in the top of the seventh.
The same teams are at it Monday night for a double header. First pitch is scheduled for 5:30pm. Probable starters for game 1: Savannah: Seth Lugo (1-0 0.69) Augusta: TBD
South Atlantic League Stories from August 19, 2013
- Legends Take on First-Place Augusta as Homestand Opens Tuesday - Lexington Legends
- Shorebirds Swept in Doubleheader by BlueClaws - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Crawford, Leiter Shine as Claws Sweep Doubleheader - Lakewood BlueClaws
- RiverDogs Come up Short, Drop Third Straight - Charleston RiverDogs
- Legends Defeat Drive, 5-1 - Greenville Drive
- Five Run Fifth Sends Rome to Victory - Rome Braves
- Legends Take 5-1 Win over Greenville - Lexington Legends
- Seventh Straight Win Completes Sweep - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Hickory Tops Power in Homestand Finale - West Virginia Power
- Intimidators vs. Grasshoppers - Game Notes - August 19, 2013 - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Williams Named SAL Player of the Week - Hickory Crawdads
- Parker Bridwell Named SAL Pitcher of the Week - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Gnats Split Doubleheader with Jackets - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Intimidators announce 2014 schedule - Kannapolis Intimidators
- RiverDogs Preview Homestand - Charleston RiverDogs
- Power vs. Crawdads - Game Notes - August 19, 2013 - West Virginia Power
- Shorebirds' Doubleheader Tonight at 6:05 PM - Delmarva Shorebirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.