Generation adidas Players and Signed Seniors Shine in Combine Game Day One
January 11, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) News Release
In the first game of the 2013 MLS Combine, adiPower controlled the first half and were rewarded in the 25th minute when John Stertzer settled a half clearance just outside the 18-yard box and finished to the keeper's right. After seeing the score climb to 2-0 via a Stefano Pinho goal, Prime climbed back to even the game at 2-2 before the final whistle. Carlos Alvarez got the team on the score sheet in the 53rd minute and, just ten minutes later, he split the defense with a weighted through ball that found Generation adidas player Kakuta Manneh. Manneh confidently slotted the ball past the keeper to even the score.
POWER - John Stertzer (Jason Johnson) 24'
POWER - Stefano Pinho (Don Anding, Chris Thomas) 49'
PRIME - Carlos Alvarez (Eriq Zavaleta) 54'
PRIME - Kekuta Manneh (Carlos Alvarez) 64'
On his impressions of the game:
"The beginning of the game was a little bit of a struggle with a new team and players. The coach just told us to relax, play our game and have confidence in our teammates. The first half we were a little sloppy but we got it together and came back in the second half."
On the chemistry in the midfield:
"We talked about how we wanted to play in the midfield during warm ups and it worked out. It felt like we had been playing together for a long time."
adiZero over powers adiPure 4-0
The second match of the day was more one-sided than the first. After just seven minutes Dillon Powers blasted a shot past Scott Goodwin to put adiZero up 1-0. In the 22nd minute Kyle Bekker split the defense finding Ashton Bennett who added another to the lead. Just minutes later Bennett's hustle caused a turnover deep in the adiPure half and Luke Spencer capitalized on the mistake. After the halftime break, adiZero added one more courtesy of Charlie Rugg giving the team a decisive 4-0 victory.
ZERO - Dillon Powers (Kyle Bekker) 7'
ZERO - Ashton Bennett (Andrew Farrell) 22'
ZERO - Luke Spencer (UA) 24'
ZERO - Charlie Rugg (Dillon Powers) 59'
On the team's performance:
"We felt great out there. It's tough because we are a group of guys who haven't played together for the most part but I think we're all happy with the way we played."
On the assist from Kyle Bekker
"It was great to play with a lot of these players. I've heard about them but I haven't played with many of them. I think it's just a soccer instinct thing. I looked up and Kyle saw me and we both just knew he was going to play that through ball."
2013 MLS adidas Player Combine - Upcoming Match Schedule
Sunday, January 13
1:30 p.m. - adiPower vs. adiZero
3:30 p.m. - Prime vs. adiPure
Tuesday, January 15
10:00 a.m. - adiZero vs. Prime
11:55 a.m. - adiPower vs. adiPure
MLS Prospects to "kick it around" with Salty the Sea Lion
Five Combine attendees will visit Miami Seaquarium's iconic Golden Dome this Monday, January 14, to "kick it around" with Salty the Sea Lion and friends for an unforgettable sports photo opportunity.
Photo and video will be available following the event. Please contact Lauren.Brophy@MLSsoccer.com for more information.
Jonathan Mendoza, midfielder, Stetson University & a native of Altamonte Springs, FL,
Andrew Ribeiro, midfielder/forward, Creighton University
Yannick Smith, forward, Old Dominion University
Luis Soffner, goalkeeper, Indiana University
Chris Thomas, forward, Elon University
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 11, 2013
- Generation adidas Players and Signed Seniors Shine in Combine Game Day One - MLS
- Chivas USA Academy Products Selected to US U-17 MNT Residency Roster - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Oscar Sorto and Jose Villarreal called into U.S. Under-20 National Team - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Houston Dynamo Youth Programs Resume 8v8 Champions League - Houston Dynamo
- MLS SuperDraft to Reach a Global Audience Through New, Innovative Distribution Plan - MLS
- Rapids Midfielder Shane O'Neill Called in for U.S. U-20 Camp - Colorado Rapids
- Sporting KC Goalkeeper Jon Kempin Selected to U.S. Under-20 National Team - Sporting Kansas City
- Pat Noonan Named Galaxy Assistant Coach - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Sounders FC Signs First Homegrown Player - Seattle Sounders FC
- Whitecaps FC Add Experienced Centre Back Brad Rusin - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Red Bulls Reveal 2013 Preseason Schedule - New York Red Bulls
- Houston Dynamo, Gow Media Enter Multiyear Radio Partnership - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.