June 26, 2013 - Southern League (SL) - Jackson Generals
TODAY\'S GAME: the Generals continue a road series tonight with game #3 of a 5-game series (0-2) at Tennessee against the Smokies...this is the 13th of 20 meetings between the clubs (3-9) and 2nd series played at Smokies Park... 25-year-old lefty James Gillheeney starts game 3 of the series...this is his 14th start of the season and 9th for Jackson...this is his 3rd career start against Tennessee and he is 0-2 with a 7.06 ERA in those starts.
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals rallied from a 6-2 deficit to tie the game with a run in the top of the 9th, but the rally fell short as Jackson lost to Tennessee 7-6 in 14 innings on Tuesday night. Starter Anthony Vasquez (4.2,8,6,4,2,4,2HR) made his Double-A debut this season, allowing 6 runs (4 ER) on 8 hits in 4.2 innings, but didn\'t figure into the decision. Relievers Moises Hernandez (2.0,1,0,0,0,0), LH Kyle Hunter (0.2,0,0,0,1,0), RH Carson Smith (1.2,0,0,0,0,3), RH Tyler Burgoon (2.0,0,0,0,1,3) and RH Stephen Shackleford (2.0,1,0,0,2,3) combined to limit the Smokies to only 2 hits and striking out 10 over 8.1 innings in relief. RH Andrew Kittredge (0.2,2,1,1,0,1) recorded the loss allowing the winning run to score with 2 outs in the bottom of the 14th. CF Denny Almonte (2x6, 2B, RBI), LF Leon Landry (2x6, R, RBI), 1B Ji-Man Choi (2x3, R, 2B, RBI, BB) each recorded 2 of Jackson\'s 9 hits. 3B/1B Ramon Morla (1x5, 2 R, HR, RBI, BB) hit a solo home run with 2 outs in the 1st inning to give Jackson an early lead. 2B Chris Taylor, who made his Double-A debut after being promoted from Single-A High Desert, went 1-for-6 with a run scored.
YOU ALREADY KNOW...that the Generals fell 7-6 in 14 innings yesterday and it was the longest game of the season, but DID YOU KNOW?...that the Generals 2-run first inning meant that Jackson has now scored in the first inning 13 times during 22 June games this season.
NEWS & NOTES: 30 of first 73 games have been 1-run games (10-20) which is the 2nd in all of minors...42 of 73 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (13-29) and 7 have been extra-inning games (2-5)...In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 19-12.
- ALUMNI REPORT: Tacoma RHP Taijuan Walker tossed 6 shutout innings, giving up just 3 hits with 2 walks and 4 strikeouts last night in Tacoma\'s 1-0 win over Fresno in his Triple-A debut. He threw 87 pitches, 56 strikes. Of the 23 batters he faced, he threw 16 first- pitch strikes.
- SEATTLE GENERALS:...there are currently 5 players on the Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (INF Nick Franklin, C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino, RHP Carter Capps and RHP Yoervis Medina). In total, eight 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and two 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi)
- YOUNG GUN: 21-year-old OF Julio Morban has hit safely in 4 of his last 6 games and ranks T1st in the SL with a .317 batting average. Morban is also the 5th-youngest player in the Southern League this season.
- MIGHTY MOUSE: SS Chris Taylor had his 4-game hitting streak end Monday, but has reached base safely in each of his first 6 Jackson games, batting .227 with a .370 on-base percentage.
- MR JONES...MR JONES: OF James Jones was 0x5 yesterday and saw his 5-game hitting streak end, during the streak he batted .421 (8x19) with 3 runs scored, 1 double, 2 home runs and 6 RBI.
- NEW FRESH PRINCE OF TACOMA: RH Taijuan Walker was promoted to Tacoma Friday. He struck out a career-high 12 on Thursday against Mobile. In his last 5 starts, has struck out 39 and walked 5 in 32 2/3 innings, all while allowing opponents to hit just .191 (21-for- 110). Hemade 39 starts for the Generals in 2 seasons complete with rates of 9.1 strikeouts and 3.4 walks per nine innings.
- MORBAN SL HITTER OF THE WEEK: The Southern League announced Monday that Generals outfielder Julio Morban was named the League\'s Hitter of the Week. Morban batted .400 (10x25), with 3 doubles, a home run, 9 RBI and 6 runs scored during the week and opening series of the 2nd half against Mobile. Morban homered, doubled twice and posted a career high 5 RBI in Saturday\'s 10-5 win over the BayBears at The Ballpark at Jackson. It\'s the first hitter of the week for a General since Brad Miller the first week of the season.
- THE THREE CAVALIERS: With the addition of Chris Taylor to start the 2nd half, the Generals current roster features 3 former Virginia Cavaliers. AAA Tacoma\'s roster features 2 former UVA alums in pitcher\'s Andrew Carraway and Danny Hultzen. Both were 2012 Generals.
- NORIEGA\'S SPORTS CENTER LOVE: The 6-3 triple play started by Gabriel Noriega to end game one of Monday night\'s doublheader against Chattanooga was Monday night\'s #3 play on ESPN Sports Center\'s top 10 plays.
- WE GOTCHA!!...Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 50.0% of base stealers (36 CS, 72 Att). The next closest is Mobile which is throwing out 32.5% of base runners.