Game Recap: CHECKERS RALLY FOR POINT, DROP SHOOTOUT TO HARTFORD
HARTFORD, CT - In a tightly contested road battle with Hartford, the Checkers fought back but couldn't seal the deal, falling 3-2 in a shootout.
Neither side would yield through nearly the first half of regulation, until Boo Nieves capitalized on a two-man advantage to push the home squad ahead.
The Checkers would finally break through with five minutes to go in that middle frame when Josiah Didier launched a rocket one-timer off a drop pass from Andrew Poturalski for his first in a Charlotte sweater, but that tie was short-lived. One minute later Adam Tambellini finished off a slick passing play send the Wolf Pack into the second intermission holding a one-goal lead.
The Checkers saw their opportunity on an early power play in the third and took advantage, with Valentin Zykov ripping a cross-ice pass from Andrew Miller into the back of the net for his 22nd goal of the year. The visitors would double up Hartford in shots during the final frame but couldn't muster any other tallies, sending the contest to overtime.
The extra frame was nearly uninterrupted by stoppages, and the Checkers dominated the possession for most of the five minutes. But despite several key chances, Charlotte couldn't quite end things so it was on to a shootout. After two of Hartford's three attempts turned out successful, Nicolas Roy was called upon to extend the shootout but had the puck poked away at the last second, leaving the Checkers with one point in the standings and sending Hartford home with the win.
Notes: The Checkers are now 0-2 in shootouts this season. The last time the Checkers lost in a shootout on the road was April 12 of last season in Grand Rapids. Valentin Zykov's goal ties him for the league lead. Andrew Poturalski extended his point streak to seven games - one shy of the longest by a Checker this season - and his assist streak to five games. Zykov extended his point streak to three games and scored for the second straight game. Andrew Miller's assist on the second goal was his 150th as a pro. Poturalski's assist on the first goal was his 50th as a pro. Tonight was Zykov's 150th AHL game. The Checkers have earned at least one point in the standings in nine of their 10 games this season that have been decided by one goal. Sergey Tolchinsky missed the game due to injury. Mike Ferrantino, Zack Stortini, Haydn Fleury and Dennis Robertson all served as healthy extras.
American Hockey League Stories from January 27, 2018
- Chicago's T.J. Tynan Added to Roster for 2018 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- BLUE JACKETS ASSIGN JORDAN SCHROEDER TO MONSTERS, RECALL ANDRE BENOIT - Cleveland Monsters
- Wolf Pack Loan Dan DeSalvo to Greenville - Hartford Wolf Pack
- ROSTER CHANGE ANNOUNCED FOR 2018 AHL ALL-STAR CLASSIC - AHL
- MERMIS TRAPS WOLVES IN OT - Chicago Wolves
- CRUNCH TOP SENATORS, 5-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Phantoms Knock off First-Place Penguins 5-2 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- RECAP: THUNDERBIRDS 5, SOUND TIGERS 3 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- WOLF PACK GAME RECAP - Hartford Wolf Pack 3, Charlotte Checkers 2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game Recap - Marlies Sparks Tops Amerks Ullmark in Goaltending Duel - Rochester Americans
- Recap: PENGUINS LOSE IN ALLENTOWN, 5-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Game Recap: CHECKERS RALLY FOR POINT, DROP SHOOTOUT TO HARTFORD - Charlotte Checkers
- P-BRUINS OFFENSE DOMINATES BEARS ON MILITARY NIGHT - Providence Bruins
- COMETS EXTEND POINT STREAK TO SEVEN WITH WIN OVER DEVILS - Utica Comets
- SAN ANTONIO REASSIGNS FORWARD J.C. BEAUDIN TO COLORADO EAGLES - San Antonio Rampage
- SYRACUSE CRUNCH TO HOST PINK IN THE RINK PRESENTED BY UPSTATE CANCER CENTER FEB. 3 - Syracuse Crunch
- BLUE JACKETS ASSIGN HANNIKAINEN, KORPISALO, KUKAN TO MONSTERS - Cleveland Monsters
- SAN DIEGO GULLS ANNOUNCE ROSTER MOVE - San Diego Gulls
- CLEVELAND MONSTERS: BRADY AUSTIN TO REPRESENT MONSTERS AT 2018 AHL ALL-STAR CLASSIC - Cleveland Monsters
- MANITOBA MOOSE RECALL COLTON PHINNEY - Manitoba Moose
- Red Wings Recall Booth and Assign Turgeon - Grand Rapids Griffins
- RANGERS ASSIGN THREE PLAYERS TO HARTFORD - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sound Tigers Look to Extend Win Streak against T-Birds, Bears - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- IOWA WILD REASSIGNS FORWARD PAVEL JENYS, DEFENSEMAN MATT CAITO TO RAPID CITY - Iowa Wild
- Minnesota Wild Reassigns Forwards Rau, Eriksson Ek to Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Dal Colle, Johnston and Fritz Return to the Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.