Game Notes: Chivas USA at Real Salt Lake
Chivas USA continues its MLS play this Saturday when it travels to face Western Conference rival Real Salt Lake at Rio Tinto Stadium in its second road match of the season. The Rojiblancos (3-2-1) are unbeaten in four of their last five matches, including three wins, and currently sit in sole possession of second place with 10 points. The Red-and-White are coming off a 1-0 conference loss last Saturday and look to come away with their second win away from The Home Depot Center. RSL (2-3-2) is tied with four other teams from the West with eight points and is coming off a 1-1 draw against Vancouver. The match is the first of three meetings the sides will dispute this season.
Rebaño Angelino Looks to Continue Solid Run
Chivas USA has gotten out to a solid start early in the season. The Red-and-White saw their two-game win streak come to an end last Saturday, but are nevertheless still unbeaten in four of their last five matches, including three wins to secure 10 points and sole possession of second place in the West. With a win Saturday, the Goats will have their best start through seven games since 2009.
With a MLS second-best 10 goals scored, seven different players have scored for the Red-and-White so far, with forward Juan Agudelo's two goals tops on the squad.
Giovani Casillas, Oswaldo Minda, Carlos Alvarez, Edgar Mejia, Joaquin Velazquez and Eric Avila have each chipped in with a goal apiece. Two of the 10 goals were knocked in via auto goal.
Knocking In Goals in 2013
Six matches into the 2013 campaign and Chivas USA is already near the top in scoring in MLS with 10 goals. The 2012 squad did not record its 10th goal until the 15th match of the season. In addition, last year's club had just one three-goal performance, while this year's team, under the guidance of new Head Coach Jose Luis Sanchez Sola "Chelis," has already had two victories with three goals or better.
Chivas USA's defense has been a key part of its solid run early in the season. Not counting the penalty kick scored against them last Saturday, the Goats' defense has allowed four goals in the last five games. Goalkeeper and captain Dan Kennedy leads the Red-and-White defense with his league-high 28 saves.
Rojiblancos vs. RSL Facts
- Chivas USA has a 3-4-3 record on the road against RSL.
- The sides have scored nearly an equal number of goals against one another in 23 all-time meetings, with the Rojiblancos having a slight edge at 30-29.
- Chivas USA holds a one-game advantage in the all-time series against RSL at 10-9-4.
- The Rojiblancos and RSL faced off in the 2008 playoffs, with RSL advancing on a 3-2 aggregate. RSL took the first meeting at home, 1-0, and came away with a 2-2 draw at The Home Depot Center in the second leg.
- The all-time series began in 2005 in Chivas USA's inaugural season. The Goats hosted RSL and came away with a 1-0 win on midfielder Hector Cuadros' game-winning penalty kick.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 19, 2013
- Sporting KC Completes Coast-To-Coast Road Trip on Saturday at LA Galaxy - Sporting Kansas City
- LA Galaxy Foundation to Make $10,000 Donation to One Fund Boston - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Sounders FC Signs Forward Will Bates - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Prepared for Early Season Showdown with Sporting Kansas City - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Italian Forward Daniele Paponi Joins Impact - Montreal Impact
- Red Bulls Face New England Revolution Saturday at Red Bull Arena - New York Red Bulls
- Game Notes: Chivas USA at Real Salt Lake - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Real Salt Lake Match Preview: RSL V. Chivas USA - Real Salt Lake
- On the Road Again, Revolution Heads to New York - New England Revolution
- Confident Crew Looks to Continue Road Form against Fire - Columbus Crew SC
- MLS Match Preview: Fire vs. Crew - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.