Game Notes: Chivas USA at Chicago Fire
Sunday, March 24, 2013 - 2:00 p.m. PT
Toyota Park - Bridgeview, Ill.
TV: UniMÃ¡s - Radio: W Radio 690 AM (Spanish)
Chivas USA faces Eastern Conference opponent the Chicago Fire in its first road match of the season. Chivas USA have taken points from two consecutive games in dramatic fashion, including a late equalizer giving them a 1-1 draw with the LA Galaxy last weekend in the first SuperClÃ¡sico of the year.
GOATS FACTS & NOTES
Francisco "Paco" Palencia Named Chivas Guadalajara and Chivas USA Director of Soccer
The Red-and-White organization announced on Wednesday that Francisco "Paco" Palencia has been named Chivas Guadalajara and Chivas USA Director of Soccer. Palencia, who began his professional playing career with Mexican club Cruz Azul, spent parts of his career with both Chivas Guadalajara and Chivas USA, as well as Pumas UNAM. A three-time champion in Mexico's Primera Division, Palencia also played with Spanish side Espanyol de Barcelona for one season.
Independent Review Panel Rescinds Suspension and Fine Given to Velazquez
An independent review panel rescinded the suspension and fine that Rojiblancos center back Joaquin Velazquez had received for a red card issued during last Sunday's SuperClÃ¡sico. As a result, Velazquez is eligible for selection in Sunday's match at Chicago. In the 40th minute of the first leg of the SuperClÃ¡sico, Velazquez was shown a yellow card, and seconds later a red card, for a tackle made near the Goats' defensive third. The Red-and-White organization submitted a petition of review on the play, and the independent review panel - which consists of one representative from each of the following entities: U.S. Soccer Federation, Canadian Soccer Association, and Professional Referees Organization (PRO) - concluded that the automatic fine and one-game suspension should be rescinded.
Rojiblancos vs. Fire Facts
* Sunday's match is the 16th all-time meeting between the clubs.
* In 15 previous meetings, the sides have averaged over two-and-a-half goals per match (2.7).
* Chivas USA has a 2-3-1 record at Toyota Park.
* Goalkeeper Dan Kennedy holds the all-time series lead in saves with 13.
* The Red-and-White and Fire have combined to score 13 goals between minutes 76 and 90 in the all-time series.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 22, 2013
- Dynamo Look to Extend Home Unbeaten Streak Tomorrow against Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Houston Dynamo
- Without Gonzalez and Keane, LA Galaxy Ready for Challenge from Banged-Up Colorado - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Game Notes: Chivas USA at Chicago Fire - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sporting KC Returns to Road at New England on Saturday - Sporting Kansas City
- D.C. United's 11th Annual Kick-Off Luncheon Raises Close to $30k - D.C. United
- Impact Plays the New York Red Bulls Saturday at 4:30pm at Olympic Stadium - Montreal Impact
- Injured Revs Working Towards Return - New England Revolution
- Home Slate Begins Saturday against Sporting KC - New England Revolution
- FC Dallas Hosts Real Salt Lake Saturday at FC Dallas Stadium - FC Dallas
- Sounders FC Signs Fairclough and Lund - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake Match Preview: RSL at FC Dallas - Real Salt Lake
- Red Bulls Sign Two-Time MLS Cup Winning Goalkeeper Kevin Hartman - New York Red Bulls
- BBVA Compass Stadium to Participate in Earth Hour this Saturday as Part of the AEG1EARTH Initiative - Houston Dynamo
- Houston Dynamo Midfielder Brian Ownby Loaned to Richmond Kickers - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.