Game Information and Mariners Minor League Report (Monday, September 2) at Huntsville
Game #135: Jackson Generals (33-35, 62-72) at Huntsville Stars (29-40, 58-79)
Streak: Lost 2
Site: Joe Davis Stadium - Huntsville, Alabama
Time: 1:03 p.m. (CT)
Pitching Match-up: LHP Cam Hobson (1-1, 2.25) vs. RHP Brooks Hall (2-4, 4.37)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN, Pregame Show (12:48) TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY'S GAME: the Generals conclude the 2013 season with the rubber match of the 5-game road series with the Huntsville Stars (2-2)...this season Jackson is 9-8 against the Stars and 5-4 at Hank Aaron Stadium...the Generals are 7-8 in day games this season and are 7-6 in rubber games of a series.
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals dropped their 2nd straight game to the Huntsville Stars, only collecting 4 hits in the 7-0 shutout loss. The pitch count got high early for Trevor Miller (L, 3-2, 4.73), who could not make it past the fourth inning. The right-hander surrendered only six hits, but they were partnered with six earned runs. Miller struck out five, but walked three with his 96 pitches. The Jackson bats were unable to help Miller through his struggles. Ariel Pena was sharp through five frames. Pena allowed only two hits and complimented it with six strikeouts. Chris Taylor (2-4) and Jabari Blash (1-3) led the way for the Generals on offense.
NEWS & NOTES: 47 of 134 games have been 1-run games (20-27) which is the T-1st in the Southern League...68 of 134 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (26-42) and 17 have been extra-inning games (5-12)...In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 33-28.
- WINNING AUGUST: The Generals finished up the month of August with a 16-15 record, which was the first month with a winning record during the 2013 season. Jackson batted .255 with 21 home runs, 117 runs, 40 stolen bases and 3.56 pitching ERA.
- BLASH-T OFF IN DOUBLE-A: OF Jabari Blash has hit safely in 19 of 27 games since being promoted to Jackson, batting .319 (30x94) with 13 runs scored, 3 doubles, 9 home runs, 21 RBI and 19 walks. Blash homered twice in the 4th inning on Friday and has 25 home runs this season leading all of Mariners Minor Leaguers. His 5 RBIs during the 4th inning was the most in a single inning in franchise history.
- NO DOG DAYS FOR TAYLOR: INF Chris Taylor finished up the month of August batting .333 (39x117) with 22 runs scored, 5 doubles, 1 triple, 8 RBI, 18 walks and 10 stolen bases in 31 games in August.
- BLACK JACK IS BACK: INF Jack Marder has hit safely in 7 of 10 games batting .324 (11x34) with 3 runs, 3 doubles, 1 home run, 2 RBI and a .410 on-base percentage.
- 3-HOMER GAME FOR PROSCIA: INF Steven Proscia hit 3 solo home runs on Aug. 26 vs. Chattanooga. It was his 8th career multi-home run game and 2nd this season (last: 2, 6/23 vs. Mobile w/Jackson). It also marks his 3rd career 3-home run game (also: 4/19/12 vs. Inland Empire and 7/14/12 vs. Stockton w/High Desert). He is 1 of 24 minor league players to hit at least 3 home runs this season, but the first Mariners farmhand.
- THE SEATTLE GENERALS: Taijuan Walker and Abraham Almonte became the 9th and 10th different 2012 General to make their MLB debut this season for the Mariners last night...they joined Mike Zunino, Jesus Sucre, Brandon Bantz, Brad Miller, Nick Franklin, Yoervis Medina, Brandon Maurer and Bobby LaFromboise... Seattle had 8 MLB debuts in 2012, and 12 during the 2011 season.
- GENERALS WELL REPRESENTED IN AFL: There are 3 current Generals headed to play for the Peoria Javelinas in the prestegious Arizona Fall League. Infielder Chris Taylor and relievers Carson Smith and Dominic Leone will represent Jackson along with former Generals Danny Hultzen, Brandon Maurer, Stefen Romero and High Desert infielder Patrick Kivlehan. The squad will be managed by Jackson's Jim Pankovits.
- BLASH NAMED SL HITTER OF THE WEEK: OF Jabari Blash was named Southern League Player of the Week, for Aug. 19-25. In 9 games last week, Blash led the Southern Leauge in average (.500/12x24), on-base percentage (1.526) and walks (14). Overall he hit .500 (12x24) with 4 runs scored, 2 doubles, 2 home runs, 6 RBI, 14 walks. Blash was promoted to AA Jackson from A High Desert on Aug. 2. In 22 game, he is batting .315 (23x73) with 9 runs scored, 3 doubles, 6 home runs, 12 RBI and 18 walks.
- CLOSING TIME: RH Carson Smith has allowed only 1 earned run over his last 27.2 innings (0.33 ERA), including 15.2 consecutive scoreless innings (since July 23). After allowing 5 runs over his first 6 appearances of the season, Smith has allowed only 5 earned runs over his last 37 relief appearances. During this stretch he is 0-1 with 11 saves and a 1.03 ERA (5 ER, 43.2 IP). Since April 22, Smith has lowered his ERA from 8.44 to 1.84. Smith has struck out at least 1 batter in 38 of 43 games (70 strikeouts).
- THE RELIEVING MA-SCHEEN: RH Stephen Kohlscheen has allowed only 3 earned runs over his last 33.0 innings (0.82 ERA). During this 19-game stretch (since June 26), he is 5-0 with 1 save.
- WE GOTCHA!! Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 51.5% of base stealers (68 CS, 132 Att). The next closest is Pensacola which is throwing out 34.8% of base stealers.
Southern League Stories from September 2, 2013
- Playoff Tickets on Sale Tuesday, Braves Host Mobile Saturday - Mississippi Braves
- Suns Eliminated on Final Day with 6-5 Loss to Braves - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- M-Braves Clinch Playoff Spot, Face Mobile in Post-Season - Mississippi Braves
- Stars Win 2013 Season Finale - Huntsville Stars
- Wahoos Four-Hit in Rain-Soaked Finale - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Lookouts Win Finale - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Barons Fall to Biscuits in Regular Season Finale - Birmingham Barons
- Smokies Conclude Regular Season with 4-3 Loss to the Lookouts - Tennessee Smokies
- Generals Drop Season Finale In Huntsville Monday, 4-3 - Jackson Generals
- Biscuits Finish 2013 Strong - Montgomery Biscuits
- Game Information and Mariners Minor League Report (Monday, September 2) at Huntsville - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.