Freddy Galvis, Phillies top SS prospect, joins R-Phils
Reading, PA - The Philadelphia Phillies have promoted top shortstop prospect Freddy Galvis from the Clearwater Threshers of the Class-A Florida State League to the Reading Phillies in the Double-A Eastern League. Galvis entered the season ranked the 18th best prospect in the Phillies Minor League system by Baseball America. He'll join the team in New Britain today.
Galvis, a switch-hitter, was hitting .247 (62-251) in 63 games at Clearwater with 29 R, 8 2B, a 3B, a HR, 15 RBI and 6 SB. He hit in the two-hole in 62 of his 63 games.
Baseball America rates Galvis as the top defensive shortstop in the Phillies system and considers his arm the best among all their Minor League infielders. He had a .969 fielding percentage (8 E in 259 TC) at Clearwater. He also appeared in one game at third base.
Galvis was on the disabled list May 7 - July 8 with a right ring finger fracture. He played in seven games for the Gulf Coast Phillies July 9-16 before returning to the Threshers active roster.
The Phillies signed the native of Punto Fijo, Venezuela as an amateur free agent on July 2, 2006. He made his pro debut as a 17-year old at Williamsport in 2007, was managed by Steve Roadcap last season at Lakewood and began this year in Clearwater.
Galvis won't turn 20 until November 14. He's the first teenager to play for the R-Phils since Anderson Machado made his Double-A debut as a 19-year old in August of 2000. Galvis is the 11th teenager to play for the R-Phils in the team's 43 seasons. Orlando Isales is the youngest R-Phil ever. He played here at age 18 in 1978. The others were all 19. Other notable 19-year olds include Greg Luzinski (1970) and 1988 NL Cy Young winner Mark Davis (1980). Baseball-reference.com was used to determine player ages.
Twelve of the Phillies Top 30 prospects, as ranked by Baseball America prior to the season, have been with the R-Phils at some point this season. They are: Domonic Brown (#1), RHP Kyle Drabek (#5), OF Michael Taylor (#6), LHP Antonio Bastardo (#11), RHP Vance Worley (#16), RHP Mike Stutes (#17), Galvis (#18), LHP Joe Savery (#20), OF Quintin Berry (#25), RHP Pat Overholt (#26), LHP Sergio Escalona (#27) and RHP Mike Cisco (#29). Bastardo and Escalona made their Major League debuts this season with Philadelphia. Worley, Stutes and Berry have been with Reading every day since the season started.
The R-Phils wrap-up a seven-game road trip in New Britain tonight before returning home for a critical seven-game homestand, their last of the regular season. Reading takes on the Erie SeaWolves, just a half game behind the R-Phils for the Southern Division's second playoff spot, Tuesday-Thursday. The Bowie Baysox, just 2.5 games behind the R-Phils, are in town Friday through Monday.
Tickets for Reading's seven remaining regular season home games are available online at rphils.com/tickets, by calling 610-370-BALL or at the FirstEnergy Stadium box office (call or go online for office hours). Tickets for potential home playoff games are also on sale. Visit rphils.com/playoffs for details.
Eastern League Stories from August 24, 2009
- Costly errors lead to Baysox demise - Bowie Baysox
- Late outburst leads to 3-1 win for Aeros - Akron RubberDucks
- Curve win series finale 7-6 over Bowie - Altoona Curve
- Portland falls to the Senators 6-4 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Trenton falls to New Hampshire, 8-5 - Trenton Thunder
- Gorneault belts 3-run homer in 8-5 win over Trenton - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Bowman ropes pair of doubles, B-Mets drop 9-6 decision at Connecticut - Binghamton Mets
- Defenders win 9-6, take series 3-1 - Connecticut Defenders
- Rock Cats win 6-3 in front of largest crowd in team history - New Britain Rock Cats
- Thunder Fans Support Mercer Street Friends Food Bank - Trenton Thunder
- Aeros Media Notes - Akron RubberDucks
- Rock Cats to Host Job Fair on Wednesday, September 2nd - New Britain Rock Cats
- Freddy Galvis, Phillies top SS prospect, joins R-Phils - Reading Fightin Phils
- Derrick Loop Added to Sea Dogs Roster - Portland Sea Dogs
- NH Primaries Jersey Auction Mon, Aug. 31 - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Eastern League Pitcher-Player of the Week Awards Week Ending August 23rd - EL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.