Former OSU Standout Mitch Canham Transferred to Portland from San Antonio
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Beavers announced today that catcher-infielder Mitch Canham was transferred to the Triple-A team from Class AA San Antonio. Additionally, the teams placed catcher-infielder Eric Munson on the disabled list with a right calf strain, retroactive to June 17.
Canham, 25, was hitting .212 (42-for-198) with eight doubles, two triples, two home runs, 21 RBIs, 21 walks and 22 runs scored in 54 games with the Missions, splitting time between catcher, first base, third base and left field. Drafted by San Diego in the supplemental round of the 2007 draft out of Oregon State University, Canham will be making his Triple-A debut tonight for the Beavers, batting eighth as the designated hitter.
Canham led OSU to consecutive College World Series titles in 2006 and 2007. He was a 2007 first-team CoSIDA/ESPN The Magazine Academic All-America selection, a Pac-10 All-Academic first-team honoree and the recipient of the Pacific-10 Sportsmanship Award. A native of Lake Stevens, Wash., he was named to the Louisville Slugger All-America squad as a third-team selection in 2007.
Munson, 32, is batting .201 (27-for-134) with three doubles, seven home runs, 20 RBIs, 26 walks and 14 runs scored in 47 games for Portland. He also missed seven games in April with a right toe contusion. The San Diego native was signed by the Padres as a minor league free agent on Feb. 24, 2010.
With today's moves, the Beavers' roster remains at its 24-man limit.
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 19, 2010
- Redbirds rally by Zephyrs - Memphis Redbirds
- Redbirds respond with a win - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Former OSU Standout Mitch Canham Transferred to Portland from San Antonio - Portland Beavers
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Two-run eighth inning gives Rainiers 7-5 win - Portland Beavers
- Five-run fifth lifts Aces - Reno Aces
- New Orleans hammers Redbirds - Memphis Redbirds
- Johnson Stumbles as Sky Sox Fall in Series Opener, 8-4 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.