Fontaine Leads Houston Aeros to 2-1 Win in San Antonio
San Antonio, TX - The Houston Aeros (8-6-1-2, 19 points) defeated the San Antonio Rampage (4-9-0-2, 10 points) 2-1 on Friday night in front of 6,082 fans at AT&T Center. Right wing Justin Fontaine scored the eventual game-winning goal with 2:13 left in regulation, breaking a 1-1 tie and giving Houston the victory. He also added an assist on the team's first goal of the night. Houston goalie Matt Hackett (5-5-2) stopped 25 of 26 Rampage shots to secure the victory. Right wing Jason Zucker scored his team-leading eighth goal of the season, as Houston improved to 5-3-0-0 on the road this season. San Antonio goalie Jacob Markstrom (2-6-0) stopped 23 of 25 shots in the defeat, as the Rampage slipped to six straight games without a win (0-5-0-1). Houston will return home to host Abbotsford at 5:05 p.m. on Sunday at Toyota Center.
After a scoreless first period of play, the Aeros capitalized off a 5-on-3 power play to start the middle period. Just 25 seconds into the period, Justin Fontaine slipped a pass cross-ice in the Rampage zone, finding Jason Zucker on the back-door feed. Zucker snapped a wrist shot past Markstrom for the power-play goal and a 1-0 lead. Defenseman Brian Connelly added an assist on Zucker's team-leading, eighth goal of the year.
San Antonio tied the game 1-1 at 13:36 of the third period, as Scott Timmons finished off a play for his second goal of the year. Forwards John Rheault and Greg Rallo each had an assist on the game-tying goal. Houston connected for its second power-play goal of the night at 17:47 of the third period, taking a 2-1 lead. Fontaine walked off the wing and fired a wrist shot past Marstrom for his sixth goal of the year. Forward Zack Phillips and defenseman Chay Genoway each had an assist on the eventual game-winning goal.
Houston will host the Abbotsford Heat on Sunday, Nov. 25 at 5:05 p.m. This season every Sunday is a Family Day, where families can purchase a package with parking, four tickets and four Aeros gifts, starting at $54. Houston continues a three-game home stand with Oklahoma City on Thursday and Friday versus Oklahoma City at 7:05 p.m. at Toyota Center. The Aeros will host Girl Scout Night on Friday and celebrate the final day of Movember. The team will also host a Peanut Butter and Jelly Drive. Every fan that brings a jar of peanut butter or jelly, will receive two free tickets to a select future Aeros home game. The Girl Scouts are running the donation program to benefit the homeless.
Aeros season tickets start as low as $9 per seat and may be purchased online at Aeros.com by placing a $100 deposit. Once your order is processed, an Aeros ticket representative will contact you to choose your exact seat location, as well as discuss the payment options. Information on season tickets and mini-plans is also available on the team website at www.aeros.com . Groups of 15 or more receive a discount on all tickets, to book your group outing to an Aeros game please call 713-974-PUCK (7825).
American Hockey League Stories from November 23, 2012
- Heat Beat Stars 1-0 in Overtime - Abbotsford Heat
- Rampage Fall to Houston, 2-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- Back to Back: Phantoms Prevail 2-1 - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sound Tigers Outscored by Whale 7-5 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Cole's Late Tally Leads to Shootout Win - Peoria Rivermen
- Abbotsford Slips by Texas 1-0 in Overtime - Texas Stars
- Tatar's Two Push Griffins Past Wolves - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Can't Snap Winless Streak - Cleveland Monsters
- Crunch Edged by Senators 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Saad's Third Period Tally Lifts Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Fall in Shoot-Out to Peoria - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monarchs' Friday Gets Darker - Manchester Monarchs
- Whale defeat Sound Tigers - Connecticut Whale
- Falcons Battle Through Wild Second Period, Surrender in Overtime - Springfield Falcons
- Black Friday No Bargain for Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- B-Sens Extend Win Streak to Five Games with 2-1 Win over Crunch - Binghamton Senators
- Hamilton Finds a Good Deal in Manchester on Black Friday - Worcester Sharks
- Devils Lose at Rochester - Albany Devils
- Fontaine Leads Houston Aeros to 2-1 Win in San Antonio - Houston Aeros
- Admirals Can't Complete Comeback in Glens Falls - Norfolk Admirals
- TVA Sports, TSN Radio 690, Sirius XM All to Broadcast Hamilton - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Flynn, Brennan Power Amerks to 5-2 Win over Devils - Rochester Americans
- Fans Invited to Grey Cup Viewing Party at Copps Coliseum Following Bulldogs Game Sunday - Hamilton Bulldogs
- P-Bruins Recall Courtnall - Providence Bruins
- Griffins Take on Texas Twice Next Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sportsnet Adds More American Hockey League Action - AHL
- Falcons Players to Transform into Celebrity Servers Tuesday - Springfield Falcons
- SiriusXM NHL Network Radio Adds More American Hockey League Games to Schedule - AHL
- Amerks Ticket Discount Available on Specially Marked Pepsi Cans - Rochester Americans
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield at Portland, Game #15 - Springfield Falcons
- Admirals Sign Rod Pelley to PTO; Assign Gabe Guentzel to ECHL Fort Wayne - Norfolk Admirals
- Darcy Kuemper Reassigned to Orlando, Aeros Sign Goalie John Curry - Houston Aeros
- Falcons Sign Defenseman Cullity - Springfield Falcons
- Park and Ride Continues for this Weekend's Games - St. John's IceCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.