Five-Run Second Inning Dooms Generals Saturday
KODAK, TENN. (APRIL 14, 2012) - The Smokies (6-4) used a five-run bottom of the fifth inning to defeat the Generals (7-3) on Saturday night at Smokies Park, 5-2. Jackson dropped their second straight game for the first time this season. The Generals won the series three games to two and despite the back-to-back losses Jackson remains in first place in the Southern League North standings.
The Smokies five-run second inning was capped by a pair of two-run homers. Mike Burgess drilled a two-run homer to center and Logan Watkins belted a 405 foot two-run home run to right and the Smokies led 4-0. Mike Brenly added an RBI single to push the early lead to 5-0.
Jackson scored a run in the fifth on an RBI groundout from Nick Franklin. Denny Almonte made the score 5-2 with a solo homer to left-center.
Yoervis Medina (0-1) suffered the loss, giving up five runs on seven hits in five innings. Medina struck out four and walked two. The win was picked up by Tennessee's Brooks Raley (1-0) and the save to Kevin Rhoderick. The starter Raley allowed just the two runs on seven hits, striking out one.
Eric Campbell upped his hitting streak to six games by finishing Saturday 1-for-3. Johermyn Chavez and Denny Almonte were 2-for-3 in the game. Almonte has five hits in his last two games.
The Generals begin a five-game series with the Mississippi Braves at Pringles Park on Sunday, with first pitch set for 6:05 CT. RHP Andrew Carraway makes the start for the Generals against LHP Luis Avilan for Mississippi. Sunday fans can bring their church bulletin to the park and buy one get one free tickets. The game can be heard on NewsTalk 101.5 FM, jacksongeneralsbaseball.com and the all new free TuneIn Radio smart phone application.
Tickets for Generals home games can be purchased at the Generals Box Office at Pringles Park, online at www.jacksongeneralsbaseball.com or by calling 731.988.5299.
Southern League Stories from April 14, 2012
- BayBears Fall in Series Finale to Blue Wahoos - Mobile BayBears
- Stars Drop Series Finale to Barons - Huntsville Stars
- Sheridan Delivers in 13-Inning Marathon - Montgomery Biscuits
- Hernandez Pitches Barons to Series Victory Over Stars - Birmingham Barons
- Bounced By Barons In Series Finale - Huntsville Stars
- Suns Edge Lookouts 7-6 in Series Finale - Jacksonville Suns
- Suns Roster Transaction 4/14 - Jacksonville Suns
- Five-Run Inning Leads Smokies to 5-2 Win Saturday Night - Tennessee Smokies
- Five-Run Second Inning Dooms Generals Saturday - Jackson Generals
- Intrastate Rivalry Begins Sunday - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Team Photo Giveaway, Autographs and Drink Specials on Homestand - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Lookouts Back in Town on Sunday - Chattanooga Lookouts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.