FC Dallas Selects Stephen Keel in Stage 2 of the MLS Re-Entry Draft
FRISCO, Texas (Friday, Dec. 14, 2012) - FC Dallas has selected former Red Bull New York defender Stephen Keel in Stage two of the MLS Re-Entry Draft held today via conference call. FC Dallas now holds the 29-year-old's rights and can negotiate a new contract with the player.
"We were really excited that Stephen was available in the draft," said FC Dallas head coach Schellas Hyndman. "Stephen has a good foundation having played a few years in the USL First Division as well as with Fernando Clavijo at Colorado. He is a strong, aggressive, no-nonsense defender. He is very courageous in the box, winning almost every header that comes in his direction. He will be a good addition to our defense as we continue to look at ways to improve."
Keel logged 501 minutes in nine appearances for New York last season after racking up MLS highs in games played (16), starts (13) and assists (2) with the Red Bulls during the 2011 season. The Littleton, Colo. native spent the 2009 and 2010 seasons with the Portland Timbers in the USL First Division, where he played in 53 matches.
Keel originally signed a developmental contract with the Colorado Rapids in July 2005. He played 10 first team matches for the Rapids between 2007 and 2008. Keel also played in 36 reserve games for the Rapids, helping lead the team to back-to-back MLS Reserve Division titles in 2006 and 2007. In 2007, he was named MLS Magazine's Reserve Player of the Year.
Major League Soccer Stories from December 14, 2012
- Flurry of Activity for the Galaxy on Re-Entry Draft Day - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Experience Draws Revs to Barrett, Freeman - New England Revolution
- Galaxy Select Two in Stage 2 of Re-Entry Process - Los Angeles Galaxy
- FC Dallas Selects Stephen Keel in Stage 2 of the MLS Re-Entry Draft - FC Dallas
- Toronto FC Select Defender Danny Califf in Stage Two of MLS Re-Entry Process - Toronto FC
- Edson Buddle Traded to Colorado Rapids - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Revolution picks two in Stage 2 of Re-Entry Process - New England Revolution
- 14 Players Selected in Re-Entry Process Stage Two Draft - MLS
- Rapids Acquire Forward Edson Buddle in Trade with Galaxy - Colorado Rapids
- San Jose Earthquakes Select Three in Stage 2 of MLS Re-Entry Draft - San Jose Earthquakes
- Vanouver Whitecaps FC Select Paulo Junior in MLS Re-Entry Draft - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Real Salt Lake Selects DF/MF Lovel Palmer in Re-Entry Draft Stage 2 - Real Salt Lake
- D.C. United Selects Midfielder John Thorrington in Stage 2 of the MLS Re-Entry Draft - D.C. United
- Toronto FC Re-Sign Hall and Wiedeman - Toronto FC
- Rapids Select Eric Avila in MLS Re-Entry Draft - Colorado Rapids
- LA Galaxy Improve Position in Stage 2 of Friday's MLS Re-Entry Process - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Chivas USA and LA Galaxy Trade 2012 Stage Two Re-Entry Process Positions - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Dynamo Announce 2013 Preseason Schedule - Houston Dynamo
- Sounders FC Re-Signs Defenders Hurtado and Ianni - Seattle Sounders FC
- Sounders FC Announce Results of Landmark General Manager Vote - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.